Sony Computer Entertainment PaRappa the Rapper
- Tunes are still infectiously catchy after all these years, up to four players via ad hoc.
- Starting to look more dated than MC Hammer, still extremely short.
PaRappa the Rapper is starting to look like a dog's breakfast these days, but there's still a lot of fun and nostalgia to be had. Word!
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
I had always wanted to play PaRappa the Rapper as sort of a history lesson. I just didn't expect it to feel like a history lesson.
When the game first released, of course, it seemed like a really fun and original idea: hit buttons in time to make the puppy rap! Of course today, the gaming landscape has changed drastically, so how well does PaRappa hold a crowd now?
All the zany things you loved about the game are still great. For instance, the plot remains the same as players help PaRappa follow his persona slogan, "I gotta believe!" and make all his dreams come true via rap. When we say all, we mean all, be it getting buff, learning to drive, or...going to the bathroom? Yeah, he needs help there, too. Ultimately, though, his goal is to earn the affections of pretty flower girl (literally), Sunny Funny. The songs are still just as goofy and getting the "U Rappin' Cool" requires that nifty mix of nonsense you like hitting, but may not enjoy hearing as much. If only you could get him to say, "I'm too good at this game, don'tcha know? So let me rap like I want--check my flow!" But then again, we'd lose the timeless classic, "M-I-X the crack into the bowl," so perhaps its best not to dabble.
Back When I Was a Gamer
At this point PaRappa is pretty much counting on the nostalgia factor. The art and characters are as charming as they were ten years ago, but graphically, we've progressed far beyond the mediocre graphics Parappa gives us. Likewise and more importantly, rhythm games have fairly exploded since those days and it's a little harder to find someone playing a game that doesn't require actually drumming or strumming, not to mention karaoke. So what's the draw? Well, they've got some new downloadable remixes of levels, but it's such a pain! Couldn't they have just been included on the UMD? Ad hoc multiplayer for up to four is interesting, but unless you and your friends really like PaRappa, it's probably not enough to swing a purchase, even for the reduced price point of fifty dollars. When the awesome guitar spin-off game "Um Jammer Lammy" (which actually features an unlockable PaRappa and a handful of two-players modes) is going at a "buy it now" rate of under five dollars on ebay, it's hard to think of this PSP port as a deal. Don't let this discourage anyone who just wants their rapping on the go. Pick it up if you're buying it for the original experience of PaRappa the Rapper, for the classic gameplay that is still...classic. Think of it as retro--not the next hot thing--and enjoy it as an episode of games gone by.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- CCDBA / Database Services SME - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTManagement Consultant, Strategy, New Products, TransformationsOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTHadoop DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD