Sony ZS-S4iP mini HiFi
The Sony ZS-S4iP combines an iPod dock with a boombox.
- iPod dock, looks good, light, good price, portable
- Speakers struggle with bass and high treble, sometimes struggles with frequency separation
The Sony ZS-S4iP boombox and iPod dock has an AM/FM radio tuner and CD player built-in. Although the sound produced by the speakers suffers from distortion at high volumes and an occasional lack of bass, this boombox is a good choice given the price point.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
The Sony ZS-S4iP is a two-speaker boombox with an iPod dock, a CD player and an AM/FM radio receiver. Although the audio quality is occasionally unimpressive, the ZS-S4iP's is well worth the price.
Boomboxes are usually rugged devices like the TEAC PCDV125L boombox designed to be filled with CDs or tuned to radio stations, boomboxes have lost their popularity as MP3 players such as iPods become more common.
The Sony ZS-S4iP boombox is a world away from that mould, with its easily scratched body and iPod dock. A window sits between two 2W speakers and is designed to frame the screen of the iPod touch or iPhone. It also protects a docked iPod from being damaged or dirtied when the boombox is moved around.
A CD tray sits on top of the boombox, while an AUX port allows a non-iPod MP3 player with a 3.5in jack to be connected. The AM/FM tuner lets you listen to your favourite radio station and the telescopic antenna tucks nicely into brackets to the rear of the device. Six C-sized batteries power the Sony ZS-S4iP when AC power is unavailable, and a carrying handle makes it easier to move the boombox around (it weighs 3kg without batteries).
The two speakers offer relatively good mid-range. Unfortunately treble often struggles, with distortion noticeable at high volumes. When listening to La Habanera from Carmen the high notes often fuzzed out and lacked definition.
The Sony ZS-S4iP's lack of a subwoofer also means that the bass has a tendency to be too light and lacking in depth. We played One of These Nights by Eagles, but the lower frequencies became slightly muddled with the mid-range — though this is to be expected from a portable music system at this price point.
Mega Bass can be used to boost lower frequencies. However, audio loses clarity and sounds muddled.
If you're after a modern boombox that you can use to play music from your iPod or CDs and listen to AM/FM radio bands, then the Sony ZS-S4iP is a versatile choice that won't break the bank.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- This week in games: Civilization III for free, Halloween modes shower treats and tricks
- Newegg's selling a 35-inch 2560x1080 curved monitor for $449 today
- Harman Kardon Invoke hands-on: Cortana enters the smart speaker market with a boom
- iPhone 8 Plus vs. LG G6: Which has the best camera in a smartphone?
- Logitech G703 review: A mainstream wireless mouse with some exceptional features
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Agile / DigitalOther
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperQLD
- TPCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTHR Analyst - Remuneration & PerformanceOther
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTApplication Migration EngineerOther
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTJunior DeveloperQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTTeam LeaderVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTGraduate Software Automation Test AnalystWA
- FTSenior Tester - Asset Finance OR mortgage app testing essentialOther
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- FTScheduling Specialist - Must have baseline or NV1Other
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW