Sony ZS-S4iP mini HiFi
The Sony ZS-S4iP combines an iPod dock with a boombox.
- iPod dock, looks good, light, good price, portable
- Speakers struggle with bass and high treble, sometimes struggles with frequency separation
The Sony ZS-S4iP boombox and iPod dock has an AM/FM radio tuner and CD player built-in. Although the sound produced by the speakers suffers from distortion at high volumes and an occasional lack of bass, this boombox is a good choice given the price point.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
The Sony ZS-S4iP is a two-speaker boombox with an iPod dock, a CD player and an AM/FM radio receiver. Although the audio quality is occasionally unimpressive, the ZS-S4iP's is well worth the price.
Boomboxes are usually rugged devices like the TEAC PCDV125L boombox designed to be filled with CDs or tuned to radio stations, boomboxes have lost their popularity as MP3 players such as iPods become more common.
The Sony ZS-S4iP boombox is a world away from that mould, with its easily scratched body and iPod dock. A window sits between two 2W speakers and is designed to frame the screen of the iPod touch or iPhone. It also protects a docked iPod from being damaged or dirtied when the boombox is moved around.
A CD tray sits on top of the boombox, while an AUX port allows a non-iPod MP3 player with a 3.5in jack to be connected. The AM/FM tuner lets you listen to your favourite radio station and the telescopic antenna tucks nicely into brackets to the rear of the device. Six C-sized batteries power the Sony ZS-S4iP when AC power is unavailable, and a carrying handle makes it easier to move the boombox around (it weighs 3kg without batteries).
The two speakers offer relatively good mid-range. Unfortunately treble often struggles, with distortion noticeable at high volumes. When listening to La Habanera from Carmen the high notes often fuzzed out and lacked definition.
The Sony ZS-S4iP's lack of a subwoofer also means that the bass has a tendency to be too light and lacking in depth. We played One of These Nights by Eagles, but the lower frequencies became slightly muddled with the mid-range — though this is to be expected from a portable music system at this price point.
Mega Bass can be used to boost lower frequencies. However, audio loses clarity and sounds muddled.
If you're after a modern boombox that you can use to play music from your iPod or CDs and listen to AM/FM radio bands, then the Sony ZS-S4iP is a versatile choice that won't break the bank.
Join the newsletter!
There are so many different options for cloud (online) storage.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HP Envy x360 13 (Ryzen): Full, in-depth review
- 2 Dell G5 review: Easy to live with
- 3 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
I’d recommend a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 and the new Windows 10 to anyone who needs to get serious work done (before you kick back on your couch with your favourite Netflix show.)
It’s useful for office tasks as well as pragmatic labelling of equipment and storage – just don’t get too excited and label everything in sight!
The Brother MFC-L8900CDW is an absolute stand out. I struggle to fault it.
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
- Everything we (already) know about the Samsung Galaxy S10, S10e, S10+ and Galaxy F
- Razer Phone 2 review: One for the fans
- Samsung’s Galaxy S10 will launch on Feb 20
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies