Brought to you by Norton Symantec
Sony ZS-S4iP mini HiFi
The Sony ZS-S4iP combines an iPod dock with a boombox.
- iPod dock, looks good, light, good price, portable
- Speakers struggle with bass and high treble, sometimes struggles with frequency separation
The Sony ZS-S4iP boombox and iPod dock has an AM/FM radio tuner and CD player built-in. Although the sound produced by the speakers suffers from distortion at high volumes and an occasional lack of bass, this boombox is a good choice given the price point.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
The Sony ZS-S4iP is a two-speaker boombox with an iPod dock, a CD player and an AM/FM radio receiver. Although the audio quality is occasionally unimpressive, the ZS-S4iP's is well worth the price.
Boomboxes are usually rugged devices like the TEAC PCDV125L boombox designed to be filled with CDs or tuned to radio stations, boomboxes have lost their popularity as MP3 players such as iPods become more common.
The Sony ZS-S4iP boombox is a world away from that mould, with its easily scratched body and iPod dock. A window sits between two 2W speakers and is designed to frame the screen of the iPod touch or iPhone. It also protects a docked iPod from being damaged or dirtied when the boombox is moved around.
A CD tray sits on top of the boombox, while an AUX port allows a non-iPod MP3 player with a 3.5in jack to be connected. The AM/FM tuner lets you listen to your favourite radio station and the telescopic antenna tucks nicely into brackets to the rear of the device. Six C-sized batteries power the Sony ZS-S4iP when AC power is unavailable, and a carrying handle makes it easier to move the boombox around (it weighs 3kg without batteries).
The two speakers offer relatively good mid-range. Unfortunately treble often struggles, with distortion noticeable at high volumes. When listening to La Habanera from Carmen the high notes often fuzzed out and lacked definition.
The Sony ZS-S4iP's lack of a subwoofer also means that the bass has a tendency to be too light and lacking in depth. We played One of These Nights by Eagles, but the lower frequencies became slightly muddled with the mid-range — though this is to be expected from a portable music system at this price point.
Mega Bass can be used to boost lower frequencies. However, audio loses clarity and sounds muddled.
If you're after a modern boombox that you can use to play music from your iPod or CDs and listen to AM/FM radio bands, then the Sony ZS-S4iP is a versatile choice that won't break the bank.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- BattleTech review: Heavy metal
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies