- Stylish Design, Bright picture, Good text and moving images, Responsive menus.
- Only basic calibration tools.
The versatile Sony CX76 offers advanced features and good image quality at a premium price.
Price$ 3,995.00 (AUD)
If you're interested in a projector that supports wireless presentations, the feature-rich Sony VPL-CX76 is a worthy choice. A higher-end version of the Sony VPL-CX20A, this LCD model has a similarly clean, stylish design that keeps some of its controls and inputs hidden behind panels on the sides of the projector. Its automated features include a powered lens cover, automatic tilt adjustment, automatic keystone correction, and powered zoom and focus operable via remote control.
Compared to the lightweight CX20A, however, the 6.8-pound CX76 is larger and brighter (with a 2500-lumens rating, enabling it to work well in fairly large rooms that have moderate ambient light). It also packs more features to help justify its higher price. Most notably, it comes bundled with an 802.11b/g wireless LAN card (for the projector) and a comparable wireless LAN module (for the host PC) so it supports wireless presentations right out of the box. The CX20A has a Memory Stick slot for running presentations or displaying JPEG or MPEG files without requiring connection to a computer, and it comes bundled with software for creating files for a Memory Stick-based presentation. Sony tosses in a pocket-size presentation device that includes a laser pointer.
In performance tests run at its default settings, the CX76 earned better-than-average scores for text and graphics display. It earned high scores for rendering crisp text in a spreadsheet screen and for displaying vibrant, realistic color in various photo screens, including ones of a racetrack and a colorful selection of candy.
In our moving-image tests, however, the CX76's scores were closer to average. The CX76's few alternate picture modes (such as dynamic or standard, and text or graphics) helped improve the quality of some still images and video. The greatest improvements in displayed video came when we changed the color temperature from high to low, but Sony doesn't provide a preset option (such as a video mode) to make the switch for you automatically.
The CX76's on-screen menu works well, and we especially liked the way the main menu disappeared from the screen while we made certain tweaks, leaving only the option we were using displayed on the bottom of the screen. The unit provides basic image-adjustment tools, but offers fewer advanced options (such as individual RGB control) than some competing models.
The easy-to-use, standard-size remote includes a small but fluid joystick for full mouse control. A USB cable and a computer (VGA) cable are included, but no others for video or audio. The built-in (1-watt) speaker is fine for undemanding presentations, but for home-theatre use we'd want a more powerful sound system.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- FTJava Developer (API Development)Other
- FTSenior Test AnalystACT
- FTBDM/Account Manager - TechnologyACT
- CCCyber AnalystVIC
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystNSW
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- CCProject AnalystNSW
- FTIT Graduate / Junior Project AdministratorOther
- FTServiceNow Solution SpecialistOther
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Merchant acquiringNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD