- Great brightness for this price
- No pitch adjustment, flyscreen effect
The VPL-HS3 is a very flexible product that works well in a variety of settings and lighting conditions.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The style of the Sony VPLHS3 may not appeal to all, but it's hard not to be impressed by its performance.
Sony has put a lot of thought into the design, designing a stand for positioning it on a carpeted floor without blocking the air intake. Our only criticism of this is that it has no pitch adjustment, so the surface needs to be perfectly level if you want to avoid a tilted image (the supplied spacers are a very clumsy solution). The inclusion of horizontal keystone control means you can project from the side--as long as you don't mind the loss of image quality caused by this digital adjustment--and the supplied 5m power and signal cables mean you don't have to move your home theatre equipment closer to the projector.
With an effective peak brightness of 1200 lumens, the VPL-HS3 is a match for most projectors in this range--and it performed extremely well under our ambient lighting. The VPL-HS3 has a reasonable contrast ratio of 800:1 and a minimal operating noise of 28dB, which you're unlikely to hear over the sound from the integrated 2W speaker. What's also impressive is the wide-angle lens, which filled our 72" test screen from a throw as short as 1.7m (though this does restrict the maximum throw to 4.5m).
Ironically, the bright display serves to highlight the low resolution (widescreen 480p) of this product, and it does suffer from the flyscreen effect. The interlacing on our composite and S-Video source material was often visible. Colour was a little flat for an LCD, but this can be tweaked in the menu settings.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTInfrastructure ManagerNSW
- TPBI AnalystNSW
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer (Cisco)NSW
- FTChief Technology OfficerSA
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- CCProject Coordinator/ Change AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTMS Azure Senior EngineerOther
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Success ManagerOther
- CCInfrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPAutomation TesterACT
- FTTechnical Lead UnixOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- TPSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCTivoli Netcool DeveloperVIC