- Great brightness for this price
- No pitch adjustment, flyscreen effect
The VPL-HS3 is a very flexible product that works well in a variety of settings and lighting conditions.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The style of the Sony VPLHS3 may not appeal to all, but it's hard not to be impressed by its performance.
Sony has put a lot of thought into the design, designing a stand for positioning it on a carpeted floor without blocking the air intake. Our only criticism of this is that it has no pitch adjustment, so the surface needs to be perfectly level if you want to avoid a tilted image (the supplied spacers are a very clumsy solution). The inclusion of horizontal keystone control means you can project from the side--as long as you don't mind the loss of image quality caused by this digital adjustment--and the supplied 5m power and signal cables mean you don't have to move your home theatre equipment closer to the projector.
With an effective peak brightness of 1200 lumens, the VPL-HS3 is a match for most projectors in this range--and it performed extremely well under our ambient lighting. The VPL-HS3 has a reasonable contrast ratio of 800:1 and a minimal operating noise of 28dB, which you're unlikely to hear over the sound from the integrated 2W speaker. What's also impressive is the wide-angle lens, which filled our 72" test screen from a throw as short as 1.7m (though this does restrict the maximum throw to 4.5m).
Ironically, the bright display serves to highlight the low resolution (widescreen 480p) of this product, and it does suffer from the flyscreen effect. The interlacing on our composite and S-Video source material was often visible. Colour was a little flat for an LCD, but this can be tweaked in the menu settings.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationOther
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- FTSenior JAVA Developer - (Adobe Experience Manager)Other
- FTMS Dynamics SpecialistACT
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Software DeveloperACT
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware ArchitectACT
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- FTAccount ManagerOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerVIC
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro servicesOther
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTSystem AdministratorOther
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Reporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC