Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0
- HDV/AVCHD friendly, huge array of effects and transitions, very easy to use
- Training video is for uber-novices only
This is a feature-rich and user-friendly package that should suit amateurs and semi-professionals alike.
Price$ 239.95 (AUD)
Do you regularly put people to sleep with your short movies? Do your dinner guests share wild looks of panic when you pull out the holiday videos? Do your shots seem to last twice as long as the event you were filming? If this sounds uncomfortably familiar to you, chances are you need a new editing package. A production's final cut is what separates an engaging video from an insomnia curing snore-fest -- no matter how 'smooth' or 'in focus' your footage happens to be. Now up to its eighth iteration, Sony's Vegas Movie Studio will definitely inject your production with the professional pizzazz it needs. Whether you're an occasional dabbler in video or a budding Stanley Kubrick, its wealth of features and ease-of-use make it one of the best editing packages around.
Despite being a stripped-down version of the professional Vegas package, Movie Studio still provides more tools and options than most users will ever need. Over 500 video effects and transitions are included, allowing you to make your movies as stylised or avant-garde as you like. The audio options, which have been reworked with a new multithreaded engine, are also highly extensive, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound and the ability to extract audio from CDs. This is one area where many non-professional editing packages fall down, so it's nice to see plenty of advanced options.
Sticking to the by-now standard tri-pane interface, everything is clearly laid out and highly intuitive. Once your footage is captured, editing is a simple matter of selecting a clip and dragging it onto the editing timeline, where effects, titles and transitions can be applied with ease. The menus are particularly helpful and the entire process quickly becomes second nature. (One great feature is the ability to automatically convert 4:3 screen ratios to 16:9 (widescreen) and vice-versa; ensuring your mixed footage will match regardless of what ratio it was shot in.)
As with most editing programs, you can spread the interface over two monitors; a useful option for those who want to take advantage of full-screen previews. Incidentally, the default preview window will still give you a pretty good view of the action, even on medium-sized monitors.
Even those who have never used a video-editing program before will find themselves in good hands thanks to a range of in-depth tutorials; covering everything from colour correction to DVD burning. Unlike certain other tutorials which simply regurgitate the manual, Movie Studio 8.0 features step-by-step instructions built right into the software. This allows virtually anyone to edit with confidence straight from installation. For the truly camera shy, a bonus training DVD has also been included, though we feel it might be a bit too basic for its own good (does anyone really need tips on how to hold a camera?).
As you would expect from an editing package of this pedigree, Vegas Movie Studio supports all the latest video formats and codecs, including AVCHD. This is basically essential in today's digital world, particularly for those with non-tape-based camcorders; such as HDD or DVD. Windows Vista users are also supported.
DVD authoring is where Sony Vegas Movie Studio truly comes into its own. Once again, Sony has bundled DVD Architect Studio (4.5) with the package, which combines functionality with ease-of-use. While it's more powerful and complex than some of its rivals, basic tasks are still quite simple to achieve. A series of easy-to-follow steps will have your movie burnt to DVD, VCD or CD in no time -- you can even export directly to a Sony PSP, or reformat files for use on your iPod.
All up, this is a comprehensive editing package that we feel no hesitation in recommending. It strikes an admirable balance between complexity and ease-of-use, making it ideal for any type of user.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & ApplicationsOther
- FTBI / ETL DeveloperWA
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTL1/L2 Helpdesk Technician - FIFOWA
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- FTLean Six Sigma Process AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - IT Product and PlanningOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperQLD
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantVIC
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - Firewalls (Juniper )Other
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- TP.NET DeveloperWA
- FTIT Service Management LeadQLD