Sony Vegas 5
Still the musician's NLE with plenty of new features, though probably not enough to challenge the market leaders
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Sonic Foundry's Vegas non-linear editor (NLE) now carries Sony's livery as well as a new version number. It's still a software-only NLE, so you'll need a powerful host system to see it at its best.
Existing users will be happy with the familiar front end - which now includes dockable, customisable windows like Premiere Pro - although some of the unusual workflow conventions may confuse anyone migrating from a competing product. Vegas's strongest point has always been its audio feature set, and this is still the case, there being MIDI support, quantisation and metronome tools, plus rulers that can be set to beats and measures rather than time and frames. Be aware, however, that the 5.1 Surround Pack with AC-3 encoding is still an expensive ($US289, download only) added extra, though the Vegas + DVD bundle includes DVD Architect with AC-3 encoding for $1249.
As you'd expect, Vegas 5 maintains an impressive slew of keyframeable effects, filters and transitions, with advanced colour controls, unlimited video/audio tracks and powerful software-based previews. New features include SWF import, stackable effects that can be saved for instant recall, velocity (playback speed) envelopes including render-free video reversal, network rendering clients, and sub-clip creation from longer media. You'll also find a sample collection of background clips, plus a copy of the ScreenBlast ACID sequencer in the box.
Overall, Vegas 5 isn't going to drag Liquid Edition, Premiere Pro or Xpress DV users away from their existing setups, but it should continue to find favour as the music producer's NLE of choice.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSecurity EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectWA
- TPDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange and Communication LeadersOther
- FTTechnical WriterOther
- FTJunior Project ManagerOther
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Insights ConsultantOther
- CCOperational Readiness ExpertVIC
- FTData Warehouse Project ManagerVIC
- TPProject Manager | PCIQLD
- FTFull Stack .Net Web DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPPrincipal SAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Internet Applications EngineerNSW
- CCScrum Master Lead - Online DigitalVIC
- FTSystems Administrator- Trim / EDRMSOther
- FTProject Manager - SAP Asset ManagementOther
- FT3rd Level Network and Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTField Supervisor - Pit RemediationVIC
- CCSalesforce Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- CCProgram Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTLevel 2 Support EngineerVIC
- CCSAP ArchiectNSW