Sony VAIO VGN-SZ15GP
- Excellent Design, Rugged case, High Quality monitor.
- Not great for graphics or gaming.
The Sony Vaio SZ15GP/B is a great entry level unit for people who want to get mobile but don't need a monster laptop.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
If there is one thing Sony does right it's sleek, futuristic and sexy design. This is exemplified in their Vaio Notebook series and the VGN-SZ15GP/B is no exception. An achievement in design, it performs reasonably for an entry level notebook. It is not without its quirks but overall tends to perform consistently and of a caliber expected for a unit at this price point.
From a design standpoint it is a very sexy and superbly crafted piece of hardware with an attractive brushed aluminium internal chassis and a muted black, almost flush, keyboard. The speakers are well hidden within the chassis and the monitor bezel continues the same colour scheme with the black meeting at the top of the screen at a discreet in-built web cam. The exterior of the unit is a different matter with the entire body of the Vaio encased in a rugged, almost porous, black sandstone like finish. This gives the appearance that the unit is rather sturdy although how much punishment it could withstand is questionable.
The SZ is slightly thicker than most ultra-portable notebooks but is still lightweight and thin enough to comfortably carry under the arm or in a bag. The connections on the sides of the unit include two USB 2.0 ports a microphone and headphone port and an iS450 port. There is also the standard 15pin D-Sub connection and a DVD±RW drive. We found the eject switch for the DVD drive was uncomfortable to access but this was only a minor frustration. For all your card reading needs, Sony provide a card reading adapter which slides into an expansion port on the right facade. This supports xD, SD and MMC media cards but a built in memory stick Duo Pro"MagicGate" is also included for Sony's proprietary flash memory type.
The ultra-thin display is a 13.3 inch 1280x800 native resolution monitor and looks simply fantastic. Back lit with a single lamp, it is uniform in its light spread while remaining rather bright and avoiding any back-light bleeding. Both text and graphics looked highly detailed and the DisplayMate Video Edition tests we ran performed flawlessly with accurate colour reproduction. For an ultra-portable notebook the screen size is more than adequate and will be suitable for most productivity tasks.
This unit seems to be targeted toward use as a mobile creation studio or mobile office rather than hardcore PC use with a T2300 Intel Core Duo Processor running at 1.66 GHz and 512MB of RAM. The results of our performance tests tended to slant in favour of productivity over recreational usages. The Sony Vaio SZ scored an 80 in PC WorldBench 2005 and a 170 in MobileMark 2002. This is consistent with other low to mid range notebooks we have reviewed and will be more than enough for users wanting to take their office on the road. For gamers and graphics intensive users however, this may not be the right notebook for the job. The SZ sports a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 and scored a 12426 3Dmarks in 3Dmark 2001 and 750 3Dmarks in 3Dmark 2006. This was to be expected for the Go 7400 and while this notebook may well be able to run older, less graphics intensive games and programs, don't expect to jump on F.E.A.R. for a free-for-all frag-fest.
An interesting feature of this notebook is the hybrid graphics system which allows you so choose how you want to use the graphics capabilities of the SZ. If you are looking for performance you can allow the unit to consume more power to allow for increased performance or you can tell the unit to give you less performance in favour of a longer battery life.
The Sony Vaio SZ15GP/B is a great entry level unit for people who want to get mobile but don't need a monster laptop. However, for something that seems to be entry level, the price tag is somewhat inflated. At the same time, it is a Vaio notebook and sometimes you have to pay the price is you want a respected brand name notebook, despite performance and specs. The battery life was timed in Mobile Mark 2002 at 145 minutes which is fairly good and should be enough to watch the average DVD on the train.
The SZ also ships with a bevy of media creation software from adobe including Premiere and Photoshop. While these are not the latest versions of these programs, they are still quite powerful tools and work surprisingly well on this machine. There is also other software included such as Sonic Stage, PictureGear Studio, Digital Media Home and InterVideo WinDVD. If you need an entry level Multimedia creation tool, this laptop fits the bill nicely.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Asus ROG teases the world's first AMD Ryzen laptop
- Lenovo's Flex 5 catches up to other convertibles, adding Kaby Lake and USB-C
- Lenovo's Legion Y920 gets serious with mechanical keys and one-touch overclocking
- Google's Chromebooks are getting a night mode to help you sleep better
- Surface Laptop vs. Surface Pro 4: We compare prices, features and more
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCSSIS / SSRS DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem Support Analyst, ERPNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPSupport Engineer (Security Tools)VIC
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- TPLevel 1-3 Helpdesk OfficerQLD
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Initial 6 Month ContractNSW
- CCConsultant - Hogan Health CheckQLD
- FTSoftware EngineerWA
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager (Applications) - 2 positionsQLD
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTProject Coordinator - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC