Sony VAIO VGN-NW15G notebook
An affordable Sony VAIO laptop that's well built and looks good
- Comfortable keyboard, allows you to browse the Web without loading Windows, video editing software included
- Screen has poor vertical viewing angles, touchpad has uncomfortable bumps
Sony's VAIO VGN-NW15G notebook looks good and is comfortable to use for the most part. It has specifications powerful enough for image and video editing, and it is a great mid-sized laptop for users who want something that's stylish yet functional and affordable.
Price$ 1,349.00 (AUD)
Rarely have the words "Sony" and "affordable" appeared in the same sentence without some back-handed joke being made about how those words should never appear in the same sentence. Yet the 15.5in VAIO VGN-NW15G (which is part of Sony's NW series of notebook computers) costs just $1349. While it's aimed at inexperienced computer users, it still has plenty of mod-cons to keep more advanced users happy. Not only that, it's very well built, and it looks great.
The Sony VAIO VGN-NW15G does have a couple of drawbacks — including a screen with very limited vertical viewing angles and a touchpad that's downright awful — but overall, this laptop is worth your time and hard-earned cash.
You can use the VGN-NW15G laptop for all your regular, not-so-complex computing tasks (such as preparing documents, catching up on e-mail or checking Facebook), yet you can also use it to watch video files on your big-screen TV (via HDMI), or even to edit and burn your own home movies. It ships with software called VAIO Movie Story, which can be used for just that purpose. With it you can edit video, sequence it, and burn it to DVD. You not only get USB 2.0 ports for connecting your video camera, but also a FireWire port (Sony calls this iLink), which will come in handy should you own an older camcorder with this interface. It's very much a laptop aimed at users who are just trying to figure out how to get their home movies onto a computer, but don't know where to start.
The specifications of the laptop aren't top of the line, but for $1349 you shouldn't expect them to be. You get a 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 CPU, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, integrated Intel GMA 4500 graphics (with 128MB of dedicated RAM), a DVD burner, and a 250GB hard drive. It won't be the quickest cat in the clowder, and this was shown by its score of 71 in our WorldBench 6 test suite. This is exactly the same result as the HP TouchSmart PC IQ545a, which had 4GB of RAM installed and ran 64-bit Windows Vista. The VAIO notebook runs 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium, but a 64-bit version can be purchased for $1699 (and this version of the notebook will include 4GB RAM instead of 2GB). In our MP3 encoding and Blender 3D rendering tests, the VAIO recorded 1min 27sec and 1min 28sec, respectively. Both results are spot-on for this CPU.
The hard drive is a Toshiba MK2555GSX with a SATA interface and a spin speed of 5400rpm. It recorded an average transfer rate of 19.44 megabytes per second in our tests, which is the average for a 5400rpm drive. You can add more storage via external hard drives, but you can only use USB 2.0-based drives or network-attached storage — there is no external SATA port.
The VAIO VGN-NW15G is a delight to use — for the most part. Its keyboard has isolated keys that are spaced 4mm apart. They feel firm and have excellent feedback.
The keys are well spaced and the VGN-NW15G is a joy to type on.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
- Hands-on: MSI's GT75VR Titan brings high-end HDR display tech to a gaming laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerNSW
- FTChange Manager OR Senior Change AnalystOther
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject CoordinatorSA
- FTJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- TPService Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerQLD
- TPTechnology Training and Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- FTCloud/Infrastructure SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTMobile App Developer - XamarinWA
- CCSoftware Developer (.Net)QLD
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- CCXamarin Mobile DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC