Everything you ever wanted in an A/V receiver.
- Powerful outputs, 1080p up-scaling, great colour reproduction
- Complicated, set up may take some time
If you’ve got an extensive home theatre setup, the STRDA2400ES is more than capable of connecting it all together and powering all but the hungriest speaker systems.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
Sony’s line-up of A/V receivers has been bolstered by the STRDA2400ES, which offers 100 Watts of power through seven channels as well as a full range of video switching and up-scaling. It’ll do almost everything you could wish for, but might prove to be a difficult beast to set up if you have a lot of equipment.
It’s certainly an imposing device. The fascia houses a large number of dials, switches and buttons, as well as a removable panel for connecting portable A/V devices. As usual, the volume control is the largest dial and moves perfectly smoothly. All the simplest functions of the receiver can be accessed from these controls, but if you want more complex functionality you’ll have to use one of the system’s remotes. That’s right — it has two.
We were hoping that the remotes would have different functions, but it seems that’s not the case. The smaller remote is more for convenience’s sake, with input and volume buttons as well as a navigation pad. The larger remote includes these features as well as a variety of sound equalisation and alteration keys. You might find having two remotes useful — even if it is just to compete over the volume — but we found it slightly baffling.
When it comes to features, though, the STRDA2400ES is able to compete with the front-runners. A frankly ridiculous number of connections are on the rear of the unit: three component inputs and an output, four HDMI inputs and an output, five composite inputs and an output, a whopping 11 analog stereo audio inputs and five outputs, five digital audio inputs... The list really does go on and on. Put simply, if you’ve got any A/V device made in the last few decades it’ll find a home at the back of the STRDA2400ES.
For actually switching and outputting all these ports and connections, there’s the choice of composite, component or HDMI outputs; the HDMI port is able to up-scale all video sources to 1080p.
This up-scaling is of great quality, with DVD-quality sources exceptionally vivid and smoothly enhanced. Of course, up-scaling will never be as perfect as original HD content, but the STRDA2400ES makes the best use of any content so you don’t have to rely on your television’s in-built scalers.
The amplifier is able to output a more-than-adequate 100 Watts RMS to seven channels simultaneously, as well as offering a subwoofer pre-out. This is more than enough to power a full surround-sound home theatre set to painful levels and we couldn’t detect any noticeable distortion when driving a set of M Series speakers from AAD.
Switching between inputs and modes was simple; with a little practice, controlling the unit will become second nature. If you have had any experience with home entertainment equipment you should be able to follow the basics without any major hiccups. If not, the two-inch-thick bundle of manuals included with the unit should come in handy.
If you’ve got a serious home entertainment setup — Full HD television, extended surround sound speaker system and any number of DVD, CD, BD or HD disc players — the STRDA2400ES will perform any task you ask of it with ease.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPMessaging EngineerQLD
- TPTechnical Support Officer (Unix/Linux, Windows and Mac)VIC
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Designer - CRM / EDWOther
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer - Blue Chip CompanyOther
- FTData Governance and PMO Lead - DW/ BIOther
- TPTechnology Training and Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Telco O2AVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Incident Management SystemsOther
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCSAP Techno Function ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTPlanner - Network Planning and Strategy (Telco Environment)Other
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Large System Transformation Project)Other
- FTiOS DeveloperSA
- FTIBM Tivoli Network Configuration leadVIC
- FTIT GraduateACT
- FTProcess SME (Continuous Improvement)Other
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Agile Digital Business Analyst - Immediate StartOther