Sony STR-DH820 A/V receiver
Sony STR-DH820 review: an A/V receiver with plenty of power, iPod support and comprehensive codec support
- Simple auto calibration
- Plenty of power
- Front-mounted ports can't be hidden
The STR-DH820 adds some useful features from the entry-level STR-DH520. As A/V receivers go, it does a pretty good job and doesn't have any significant failings that would annoy the majority of users.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The basic functionality of the Sony STR-DH820 is the same as the Sony STR-DH520 amplifier. This review focuses on the additional features of the STR-DH820.
The Sony STR-DH820 amplifier is a mid-level A/V receier that supports 3D video pass-through. It'd make a good addition to a low-budget 3D home cinema, and its auto calibration works well to optimise a surround sound speaker setup. Its advantages over the cheaper STR-DH520 come in the form of even easier calibration, a second zone setting for a speaker system in a different room, and support for a second powered subwoofer. An enterprising home theatre installer could use the Sony STR-DH820 to fit out two rooms with ease.
Sony STR-DH820: Design and setup
Like the STR-DH520, the Sony STR-DH820 won't be winning any beauty pageants. It's functional though, with a large volume dial and input selector dial on the right of the two-line LCD screen, and a tuning dial on the left. Other buttons for switching between speakers and different zones probably won't see much use, but they're easy to access if needed.
Temporary front inputs for composite audio and video, the automatic audio calibration microphone and USB — for connecting an iPod cable, with almost all iPod and iPhone devices supported — are hidden down on the lower right front of the STR-DH820. They're easy to get to, but we would have preferred if they were hidden behind a flip-down door to make the front of the amplifier a little more seamless. These front inputs aren't found on the STR-DH520, so if you want them — the iPod connector in particular — the STR-DH820 is the one to get.
The Sony STR-DH820 has speaker terminals for seven surround speakers, and two pre-outs for connecting actively-powered subwoofers. If you want to use the Sony STR-DH820 to power speakers in two different rooms and switch between them, the rear speaker terminals are set up to accomodate this. We tried using two sets of stereo speakers in two different rooms and had no problems.
Calibrating the Sony STR-DH820 is a one-step process and couldn't be simpler. The front input for the calibration mic means all you have to do is plug it in and hit two buttons on the remote control. A few seconds later all the speakers are optimised for whichever listening position the microphone was sitting in, and the difference in sound quality after calibration is noticeable.
Sony STR-DH820: Performance
The Sony STR-DH820 has the same amplification power as the STR-DH520, with a rating of 100W per channel (though this is only when powering two channels — all seven channels used simultaneously would not be fed 100W each). In practice we found the power of the STR-DH820 to be more than adequate, with five reasonably cheap Onkyo home theatre speakers only requiring around half volume to fill a medium-sized room with sound. Even watching a blockbuster movie shouldn't push the STR-DH820 to its limits.
We liked the convenience of plugging an iPod directly into the front of the Sony STR-DH820. You can control the iPod with the STR-DH820's remote control, so if you want to change tracks you don't have to keep walking to the amplifier. We were surprised to see that no iPod connector is available on the back of the STR-DH820 — if you want to have an iPod plugged in 24/7, it'll have to be sticking out of the front of the amp.
Sony STR-DH820: Conclusion
Sony'S STR-DH820 is a competent and fully-featured home theatre receiver. If you've got a 3D Blu-ray player and 3D TV, and want to set up a home theatre that doesn't require a workaround to show 3D, the Sony STR-DH820 should do the job nicely.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM CONSULTANT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking , Finance backgroundOther
- FTLevel 2/Level 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTC++ Developer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCWintel EngineerWA
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTData Centre / Hosting Lead - $800 per dayOther
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTIntegration Solution Architect - $800 per dayOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystsACT