This Sony iPod dock works with both the iPhone and iPhone 3G.
- Design, full iPod control integration, remote control, reasonable sound quality
- No outstanding features, no EQ or sound adjustment settings, distortion at higher volume levels
Sony's SRS-GU10iP is a competent but not outstanding iPod dock. We love the fact that it can control the iPod interface via the remote, but for this price we expected a few more features.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
The Sony SRS-GU10IP is a standalone speaker system designed for the Apple iPod and iPhone. Despite boasting a stylish design and producing reasonable sound, the Sony SRS-GU10iP offers no particularly enticing features given its relatively steep asking price.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP is fairly basic in both its design and features. The dock certainly looks the part, combining a gloss black and piano-black finish in a long, rectangular speaker. The speaker sits on a curved stand that doubles as the iPod dock. Alongside the dock are the controls: a power button, input selection and volume control. With no display on the unit, a few small LEDs denote power, input, bass boost and mute. The last two functions are only accessible via the included remote control.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP is compatible with all Apple iPods that utilise the standard dock connection, so it will work with every model except the iPod shuffle. The unit will also charge a docked iPod. Sony has ensured the iPhone and iPhone 3G are fully compatible. If you don’t own an iPod, the SRS-GU10iP might still appeal to you: an auxiliary input at the rear of the unit means any device that utilises a standard 3.5mm headphone jack can be connected. Unfortunately, there’s no line-in cable included in the box.
Sound quality is reasonably impressive for a unit this size, though it did leave a little to be desired at high volume levels. The Sony SRS-GU10iP produces enough sound to fill a small or medium room, but it tends to distort at any volume level above 75 per cent. If you're looking for an iPod dock to play tunes at a constant high volume then this probably isn't the unit for you.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP doesn’t sound very engaging and definitely won't impress audiophiles. The sound is balanced, though, and bass response is rich but not overpowering. We weren't impressed with the bass boost function — we found it merely increased distortion and tended to overpower underlying elements in most music. Mid-range is acceptable, with most individual notes easily distinguished, though they aren't always accurate. The lack of basic equaliser or bass/treble options on the SRS-GU10iP is disappointing, but you can use your iPod's built-in EQ settings.
Perhaps the best feature is the fact that you can control your iPod and iPhone using the SRS-GU10iP's remote control. You can browse through menus, skip tracks, play/pause your music, and enable shuffle and repeat modes. Using these functions is fairly straightforward.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTReporting AnalystSA
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTFixed Broadband SMEOther
- CCSAP CRM, ABAP, FIORI & UI5 ResourcesNSW
- FTSecurity Solutions ManagerWA
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTOther
- FTEPAS Technical Support OfficerOther
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Veeam / Shadow ProtectOther
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTMobile Studio LeadOther
- FTAutomation SpecialistOther
- TPTest Analyst - Web ApplicationsQLD
- FTSenior Front End DevelopersOther
- FTSystem Specialist - Network SystemsOther
- FTDesktop Engineer - Level 1 and 2Other
- FTSales AssociateACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperOther
- FTHR Business Analyst-Performance Management/Learning ManagementOther
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- FTPractice Director Project Management – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTProject Manager - Service Migration & DataNSW
- FTData Analyst / Reporting DeveloperACT
- FTAS400 EngineerOther