This Sony iPod dock works with both the iPhone and iPhone 3G.
- Design, full iPod control integration, remote control, reasonable sound quality
- No outstanding features, no EQ or sound adjustment settings, distortion at higher volume levels
Sony's SRS-GU10iP is a competent but not outstanding iPod dock. We love the fact that it can control the iPod interface via the remote, but for this price we expected a few more features.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
The Sony SRS-GU10IP is a standalone speaker system designed for the Apple iPod and iPhone. Despite boasting a stylish design and producing reasonable sound, the Sony SRS-GU10iP offers no particularly enticing features given its relatively steep asking price.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP is fairly basic in both its design and features. The dock certainly looks the part, combining a gloss black and piano-black finish in a long, rectangular speaker. The speaker sits on a curved stand that doubles as the iPod dock. Alongside the dock are the controls: a power button, input selection and volume control. With no display on the unit, a few small LEDs denote power, input, bass boost and mute. The last two functions are only accessible via the included remote control.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP is compatible with all Apple iPods that utilise the standard dock connection, so it will work with every model except the iPod shuffle. The unit will also charge a docked iPod. Sony has ensured the iPhone and iPhone 3G are fully compatible. If you don’t own an iPod, the SRS-GU10iP might still appeal to you: an auxiliary input at the rear of the unit means any device that utilises a standard 3.5mm headphone jack can be connected. Unfortunately, there’s no line-in cable included in the box.
Sound quality is reasonably impressive for a unit this size, though it did leave a little to be desired at high volume levels. The Sony SRS-GU10iP produces enough sound to fill a small or medium room, but it tends to distort at any volume level above 75 per cent. If you're looking for an iPod dock to play tunes at a constant high volume then this probably isn't the unit for you.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP doesn’t sound very engaging and definitely won't impress audiophiles. The sound is balanced, though, and bass response is rich but not overpowering. We weren't impressed with the bass boost function — we found it merely increased distortion and tended to overpower underlying elements in most music. Mid-range is acceptable, with most individual notes easily distinguished, though they aren't always accurate. The lack of basic equaliser or bass/treble options on the SRS-GU10iP is disappointing, but you can use your iPod's built-in EQ settings.
Perhaps the best feature is the fact that you can control your iPod and iPhone using the SRS-GU10iP's remote control. You can browse through menus, skip tracks, play/pause your music, and enable shuffle and repeat modes. Using these functions is fairly straightforward.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Logistics)Other
- FTData Analyst / Reporting Analyst - $496.00 per dayOther
- CCMachine Learning SpecialistNSW
- FTMid / Senior Level Functional Banking ConsultantsOther
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- FTGenesys ConsultantACT
- FTIT Systems AnalystOther
- TPAndroid DeveloperQLD
- FTCyber Security EngineerOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- TPIncident ManagerNSW
- FTTeam Leader - Service Desk (Internal Customers)SA
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- CCData Migration Test AnalystVIC
- FTSiebel Project Manager - Immediate StartACT
- CCSolution Architect - Financial ServicesVIC
- CCCloud EngineerNSW
- FTRail Program Manager/ Senior PMOther
- CCSenior Java DevelopersVIC
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- FTPega DeveloperACT
- FTFull Stack Web DeveloperOther
- CCDesktop Technician - 2 weeks deploymentNSW