- Very usable, nice remote
- Handling of MP3s and JPGs is a little weak
Elegantly simple, the Sony is not a revolutionary device, but it's easy and intuitive to use.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
Sony gets just about everything right with the SLVD985P. It doesn't break new ground, deliver amazing new features or really do anything out of the ordinary, but like the Toshiba SD-34VLSY, it scores points where it really counts--in usability and quality.
The SLVD985P has the now usual array of inputs and output: an antenna loop-through, component video out with progressive scan support, composite output through RCA, rear and front RCA inputs, S-Video output, and coaxial and optical digital audio output.
Its remote is well designed, with an intuitive layout that works for both DVD and VCR features, and soft-touch buttons that aren't going to chafe the thumbs after hours of channel surfing.
Right from the get-go, the Sony SLVD985P is easy to use. As soon as you start it up, it performs an automatic channel search and asks for the time. Using the unified control panel to change DVD or VHS settings, and to program the timer, never required consulting the manual (which is itself a fine piece of work, less an engineering textbook than a step-by-step walkthrough).
The quality of the VHS tuning, playback and recording were all top notch, very near the best in its class. A test VHS recording lost very little in the translation from broadcast TV to tape, which is rare. Likewise, the DVD picture was also as good as it gets.
If the Sony has a weakness, it's in its MP3 and JPG support. It read our test DVD just fine, and allowed us to choose music play or JPG viewing. There's also nothing wrong with the interface; it has thumbnail album views and a clear list of MP3 tracks. It was, however, painfully slow to open images and generate thumbnails, and the MP3 player does not support random play.
Those issues aside, the Sony SLVD985P is a very fine combo device, making a virtue of simplicity.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTPenetration Tester - Cyber Security Operations - CEHOther
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior JAVA Developer - (Adobe Experience Manager)Other
- FTUser Experience (UX) SpecialistACT
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FTSCCM consultantVIC
- FTPre-Sales Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- CCReporting Analyst/Workforce Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTBatch support specialistVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTAEM DeveloperOther
- FTProject CoordinatorSA
- TPSenior Analyst|Progress ProgrammerQLD
- FTInternal Communications ManagerOther
- FTService Design Analyst (Service Management Specialist- ITIL)Other
- FTSenior Unica DeveloperOther