- Very usable, nice remote
- Handling of MP3s and JPGs is a little weak
Elegantly simple, the Sony is not a revolutionary device, but it's easy and intuitive to use.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
Sony gets just about everything right with the SLVD985P. It doesn't break new ground, deliver amazing new features or really do anything out of the ordinary, but like the Toshiba SD-34VLSY, it scores points where it really counts--in usability and quality.
The SLVD985P has the now usual array of inputs and output: an antenna loop-through, component video out with progressive scan support, composite output through RCA, rear and front RCA inputs, S-Video output, and coaxial and optical digital audio output.
Its remote is well designed, with an intuitive layout that works for both DVD and VCR features, and soft-touch buttons that aren't going to chafe the thumbs after hours of channel surfing.
Right from the get-go, the Sony SLVD985P is easy to use. As soon as you start it up, it performs an automatic channel search and asks for the time. Using the unified control panel to change DVD or VHS settings, and to program the timer, never required consulting the manual (which is itself a fine piece of work, less an engineering textbook than a step-by-step walkthrough).
The quality of the VHS tuning, playback and recording were all top notch, very near the best in its class. A test VHS recording lost very little in the translation from broadcast TV to tape, which is rare. Likewise, the DVD picture was also as good as it gets.
If the Sony has a weakness, it's in its MP3 and JPG support. It read our test DVD just fine, and allowed us to choose music play or JPG viewing. There's also nothing wrong with the interface; it has thumbnail album views and a clear list of MP3 tracks. It was, however, painfully slow to open images and generate thumbnails, and the MP3 player does not support random play.
Those issues aside, the Sony SLVD985P is a very fine combo device, making a virtue of simplicity.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- TPTest Analyst / CoordinatorQLD
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - TechnicalNSW
- CCDesktop EngineerQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications & Business)NSW
- FTSenior System Engineer - Wintel & MacVIC
- TPSCCM EngineerVIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTMidrange EAI Developer - IBM WebsphereOther
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- CCProgram SchedulerQLD
- FTJAVA DevelopersACT
- TPProject Manager - Call Centre ExpansionVIC
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- CCCloud Release & Deployment ArchitectACT
- FTAutomation Tester/Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCData Quality ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager | 12mth ContractOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD