- Portability; plays DivX and MP3; very good DVD playback
- Poor internal speaker, smallish screen, no battery
An integrated LCD screen and DVD player, the Sony DVD Station is a cool little appliance, ready for you to watch movies when you're on the road.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Sony DVD Station is a cool fusion product, a combination LCD TV screen, DVD player, FM radio tuner and CD music player, all packaged in a portable box roughly the size of a PlayStation. It also comes with a carry bag, ready for portage.
A 16:9, 6.5" screen--about the size of one you'd find in an airplane--folds up out of the base of the DVD station, and can also be used flat if you want to mount the DVD Station to the back of a car seat, for instance. The screen is a little on the grainy side, but still not bad. It's certainly bright enough. Underneath the part of the box the screen flips up out of there is a DVD drive with pop-up top. You can put a music CD, DVD movie, MP3 CD or DivX CD or DVD in here. At the rear of the box you find the speakers and stereo RCA input/output and headphone ports, and at the side a port for the FM antenna cable.
What the DVD Station doesn't have is a battery--although it's portable, you still have to plug it in somewhere. It comes with a car cigarette lighter adapter as well as mains power lead. It also lacks a TV tuner, so you can't watch television on it unless you plug something that does have a TV tuner (like a VCR) into the RCA input ports (in this case the LCD screen becomes your TV screen). In addition, if you want to plug the DVD Station into a larger TV screen rather than use the integral screen, you can, using the composite output cables.
We'd recommend using headphones with the DVD Station in any case--the rear speaker is decidedly tinny sounding, producing audio that has the kind of bass and timbre that you'd expect from your average clock radio.
One particularly neat feature is the support for DivX video (and XviD, it turns out). If you want to rip your DVDs to DivX, or play downloaded clips on the DVD Station, you can. We tested a set of XviD movies burnt onto a DVD-R and it worked perfectly. MP3s burnt to CD worked equally well.
Watching movies on the small integrated LCD screen was very reminiscent of watching in-flight movies on the back of the seat in front of you. It's not the most compelling experience, but at least with the DVD Station you have a choice of what's showing. You can also listen to FM radio if you so choose. Plugged into a TV set, it works perfectly well as a DVD player, although the compact remote may not be much to your liking.
Given it includes a screen and DivX-supporting DVD player, the current asking price for the DVD station is not unreasonable, and it's got real wow factor.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness System Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCNetwork Data EngineerVIC
- CCTechnical Testers ? API testingQLD
- CCProject Manager -AgileWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTFull Stack Developer - ASP.NETVIC
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTQlikSense DeveloperACT
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- FTDrupal DeveloperACT
- TPLead User ResearcherACT
- FTMarketing Manager - IT ServicesOther
- FTSolution Architect - Security/DigitalVIC
- CCTableau DeveloperQLD
- FTDevOps SpecialistACT
- FTFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- FTTest LeadOther
- TPProject Manager - Credit CardsNSW