Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System
A mini hi-fi boombox with plenty of power and flashing lights
- Decent quality audio, reasonable price
- Outdated design, audio can sound muffled with bass boost enabled
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System is a little retro, but it delivers the good audio quality for outdoor party music. There are more attractive and better performing boomboxes on the market, but the Mini MUTEKI might appeal to some punters.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System is a mini hi-fi that looks just like the boombox you owned a couple of decades ago — it seems like Sony has simply re-released a classic design with a few updates. The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System looks more than a little dated in some ways, but it has good audio quality and a number of welcome features.
An Apple iPod dock sits on the top of the device, as well as a USB input and auxiliary audio input — so you're able to use any audio device including Sony's own MP3 players. Although the Mini MUTEKI is large — measuring 600x385x395mm — it is lightweight, which makes it easy to transport. It has two carry handles on the front which make it easier to carry.
One throwback to the disco era is the Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System's inbuilt red and blue LED lights. They flash in sync with whatever music is being played. It is a fun effect, but gets tiresome after a while. Thankfully it can be turned off if you tire of it.
An equaliser with a healthy range of music genre options helps to improve audio quality to match your music. We found the settings appropriately matched the genres, with rock music sounding best on the Rock preset and classical music benefiting from Classical. Radio listeners will be pleased with the inclusion of an AM/FM tuner with 20 FM presets and 10 presets for AM.
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System's audio performance is good, but not outstanding. We'd say it's less impressive than the Altec Lansing Mix iMT800 boombox, but it can definitely handle the needs of a house party or outdoor barbecue.
Bass tones can easily be boosted at the touch of a button, providing an extra kick to music at the cost of some clarity. The 220W output power of the MUTEK means it is able to provide impressively loud volume levels. We only noticed a small amount of bass distortion at higher volumes, but treble and mid-tones sounded muffled. It all depends on what music you're listening to and how the equaliser complements your tunes.
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System is a decent boombox, although it looks a bit retro for our liking and it's too large to have sitting on your desk. For outdoor use or in a large space it is well suited.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook: Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review: a Nazi-stomping shooter that's more than the sum of its parts
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- TPPrincipal Project Manager | ApplicationsQLD
- FTTest Analyst, TOSCAOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTField EngineerVIC
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTService Team LeaderACT
- CCUser Experience DesignersACT
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther
- CCLevel 1 Help DeskNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- CCAdlib DeveloperVIC
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- FTSecurity Leads - $800 per dayOther
- FTEcommerce Technical ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- CCCloud Orchestration and Automation SpecialistNSW