Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- IPX3 rating
- Slightly deeper sound
- Less compact form-factor
- Gesture controls often unreliable
If the built-in clock interface, the IPX3-rating and the gesture commands strike a chord, this might be a smart speaker worth a serious look. However, if you want the best possible sound for your smart speaker setup, it may well be worth waiting for better options.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
We’ve more-or-less made it through first stage of the smart speaker category: proving that products like Amazon Alexa and Google Home are worth your time, attention and money. Even if they’re not exactly necessary - these are still luxury consumer electronics products - the battle to demonstrate and communicate their usefulness has more-or-less been won.
Now, we’re up to the second stage: expansion and diversification. On paper, any company can try to build a better speaker than Google or Amazon whilst leveraging the same software. There are always going to be those who want to stay true to purest version of the Google Assistant experience. However, for everyone else, it’s important to have options.
Sony’s new LF-F50G promises to provide just that: an experience that’s exactly every bit as smart as Google’s own offering - but with a few added perks to justify the higher price-tag.
The Sony LF-S50G is a mono-aural smart speaker that produces 360-degree audio using two speaker units (a 48mm satellite and a 53mm subwoofer) bridged by a two-way diffuser. It’s IPX3-rated against splash damage and boasts Bluetooth, NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
- HomePod review roundup: 'Room filling,' 'best-in-class' sound, but Siri is 'embarrassingly inadequate'
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Apple confirm $499 HomePod for February 9th launch
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Developer - Back endVIC
- CCL2 Desktop Support AnalystWA
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FT2 X Graduate roles - Exciting opportunityQLD
- FTBackend Java DeveloperOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- CCDelivery Manager - Cloud Solution ProjectNSW
- TPProject Manager - Senior Application Specialist - HealthcareQLD
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperSA
- CCLinux DevOps Engineer - Cloud platformVIC
- TPBusiness Information SpecialistNSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystWA
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- CCMid-level Test AnalystQLD
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- FTInternal Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop SupportQLD
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- CCSenior MS SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSCCM SupportACT
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther