The Sony ICF-C1IPMK2 iPod dock looks good but its sound is unimpressive.
- iPhone and iPod compatible, stylish design, good iPod menu control via remote control, AM/FM radio tuner
- Low audio quality, LCD panel cannot be turned off
The Sony ICF-C1IPMK2 is a clock radio and iPod dock that is versatile and attractive. Unfortunately the audio quality lets the device down.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
The Sony ICF-C1IPMK2 iPod dock and clock radio has a nice design and provides excellent iPod menu control via the remote. However, we weren't impressed by the sound quality and overly bright LCD.
The Sony ICF-C1IPMK2 has a sleek black body with symmetrical button controls on its top that are functional and easy on the eyes. A knob on the back of the unit can be twisted to extend and retract a small plate that helps hold an iPod or iPhone in place.
The controls include a large snooze button and five radio preset buttons. One of the buttons on the Sony ICF-C1IPMK2 controls the brightness of the LCD, but the display's glow can't be turned of. This may be annoying for some users.
The docking station sits atop the LCD panel on the front of the dock and is capable of taking all iPhones and iPods with a standard docking connector, including the latest Apple iPod touch (2nd Generation). Controlling the iPod or iPhone is simple thanks to the excellent remote control.
If you don't have an iPod, then a line-in port can be used to connect a media player with a 3.5mm jack.
The Sony ICF-C1IPMK2 can receive both FM and AM radio; the latter is a relatively rare offering in iPod docks at this price point. But if you plan to tune into the dulcet tones of AM talkback radio hosts, make sure you're happy with the sight of a plain-looking loop antenna next to your attractive clock radio (the aerial is detachable).
The quality of the sound is this iPod's dock main problem. At medium and high volumes sound can distort, and the two 3W speakers don't provide much depth when it comes to bass. When we played "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, the bass guitar and drums sounded largely the same thanks to the muddy sound that lacked definition.
Mid-range was not much better, with a tinny quality tainting voices and classical instruments. Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" lacked the richness that it should have had, and distortion plagued treble notes. The quality of treble is acceptable for a device at this price point, but it sounded hollow in several of our electronic/dance test tracks.
Sony has included a function called MEGA Xpand that is designed to increase the soundstage. Although it manages to do so, the reduction in audio quality is so great that most treble and bass notes end up being uncomfortably distorted.
While the $189 price tag places this iPod dock towards the cheaper end of the market, this can't excuse the device's poor sound quality — especially when similarly priced devices like the Gecko Soundbase, the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy and the Logitech Pure-Fi Express Plus have much better sound.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Delivery Lead - BillingVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator - ITOther
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Designer, Financial MarketsNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTReporting AnalystSA
- CCJunior DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork Performance TesterNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Developer / Architect - PermanentWA
- FTSAP ABAP DEVELOPMENT LEAD- NSW GovernmentOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTSoftware Tech Lead | C++ | Trading | Market ConnectivityOther
- FTRadio Communication TechnicianOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTDigital Project Manager / Product ManagerOther
- FTEnterprise and Solution ArchitectQLD