Sony DVDirect MC5
- Supports HD video, very easy to use
- Can't connect to a PC
Though the MC5 is easy to use, we had to search for a format function hidden in the setup menu to reuse Nero-burned +RW and -RW media. The MC5 does nothing you can't do with a PC and a DVD burner, but for videographers on the go, it's both quicker and more convenient.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Video-transfer device is a quick, convenient way to get content onto DVD without firing up a PC.
The $299 MC5 is the latest in Sony's DVDirect series of stand-alone video transfer devices, and for quick, easy burning of photos and video to DVD without using a PC, you can't beat it. The big news is that the MC5 is the first DVDirect model to support HD video.
However, it doesn't create Blu-ray or HD DVD discs, but rather the AVCHD format, which is basically h.264/MPEG-4 video burned to DVD (still high definition, but the discs won't hold much). Nonetheless, it looks good. Other new features include the ability to import a JPEG file from a memory card to serve as the DVD menu background, or an MP3 file to provide background music for photo slideshows.
Unlike past versions, though, the MC5 won't talk to a computer -- despite having both USB and FireWire ports. You can pick up a DVD burner from $65, so this is not a huge consideration. It immediately recognised the Sony HDR-SR7 camcorder we attached and started the AVCHD disc creation wizard.
We burned two test DVDs with the MC5: one was a slideshow created from files on an SD flash memory card (the MC5 also reads Compact Flash, xD-Picture Card, and all Memory Stick media); the other contained HD footage from the camcorder. (To view the AVCHD discs that the MC5 creates, you need software like Cyberlink's PowerDVD, a Blu-ray player, or a DVD player that supports the format.) Both projects required virtually no intervention on our part, burned quickly, and looked great -- especially the AVCHD disc.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- CCPenetration Test AnalystACT
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- TPCRM Project ManagerQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTProject ManagerSA
- CCSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTCitrix Administrator/ EngineerOther
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCProcess Specialist-Lean Six SigmaNSW
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- FTService Desk Technical LeadOther
- FTSAP Payroll Test LeadOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Integrated Care ProgramQLD
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- FTPMO ManagerOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | AI & AutomationOther
- FTSenior Server EngineerOther
- FTNon - functional Test LeadVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Application )Other
- FTIntegration Specialist - TIBCOOther