- Wide range of innovative and useful functions, full 1920 x 1080 resolution high-definition display, very easy and intuitive to operate
- Some features poorly implemented, no DVI
The Sony DSTHD100 is innovative and easy to use, despite a few minor flaws.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Sony's DSTHD100 is an excellent digital set top box, featuring several impressive functions. In addition to the regular range of digital features, the Sony brings picture-in-picture and pause functionality to its array, and to top it off, delivers stunningly clear high-definition images.
This isn't to say that the DSTHD100 is perfect, however, for it does have a few minor flaws. The first is apparent from the moment the device is removed from its box. The back panel is surprisingly sparse, with a bare minimum of connection options. The lack of DVI output on the Sony is one of its largest drawbacks. It has component, composite, S-Video, RF loop-through and S/PDIF digital audio output.
Sony has also implemented a couple of features on the DSTHD100 a little poorly. For instance, the favourites menu is slightly annoying. As soon as it's brought up, it disables flicking through regular channels, cycling through favourites only instead. To rectify this, the entire program list must be brought up again. The program information plates and electronic program guide (EPG) are also a little difficult to navigate and set up, and the EPG is especially annoying, since information can only be brought up on one channel at time, rather than multiple channels simultaneously, for comparison. One final complaint: the Sony lacks the ability to cycle through just TV or just radio stations, which can make channel surfing somewhat tedious.
These foibles aside, the Sony DSTHD100 delivers nothing but the highest-quality digital experience. The menu is incredibly well laid out and rather unobtrusive. Navigating through the various features is quick and easy, especially with the remote, which is well designed and clutter free. The controls on both the remote and the front panel are intuitive and responsive.
What really makes the DSTHD100 stand out, though, are two of its features that don't appear on many other boxes: the picture-in-picture and pause function. Both are well implemented, and easy to use via buttons on the remote. The picture-in-picture feature only works with channels from the same broadcaster, since the Sony doesn't come with twin tuners, but is still a useful and worthwhile feature. The pause function is an interesting addition to the box, especially considering that it doesn't include a hard drive for recording. This means that programs cannot be paused indefinitely, for playback to be resumed normally. Instead, it allows the picture to be frozen (for instance, to jot down a phone number), and once unfrozen, playback speeds up to catch up with the broadcast (minus audio). It isn't quite up to speed with a PVR's pause functionality, but it's definitely a standout feature for a regular set top box.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Transmission and RAN DeploymentsOther
- FTPython Fullstack Developer (Full Stack Environment)Other
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- CCPeoplesoft campus solution consultant/TesterNSW
- FTTest AnalystSA
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCCloud Orchestration SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTLinux Support EngineerOther
- FTSolution Designer, Financial MarketsNSW
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- TPFull Stack PHP / Web DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCAutomation Test Analyst Guidewire QLD
- FTProject Manager (Rail/Control Signals)Other
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTWintel Server EngineerOther
- FTService Centre ManagerQLD
- FTProject Coordinator - DigitalOther
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTOther
- FTHFC Network Modeller | 6mth ContractOther
- FTProject CoordinatorSA