- Lacking DVD-RAM support
If you're after a fast DVD writer and don't mind missing out on DVD-RAM support then the DRU-810A might be the perfect choice for you.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sony has blitzed its DVD-burning competition with the release of the DRU-810A - the fastest dual-layer burner we have tested.
The DRU-810A will replace the similar-looking DRU-800A, which also has a clear front panel. The speed boost comes with the upgrade to 8x DVD+R DL, but DVD-R DL is still only 4x.
Using 2.4x DVD+DL media, the DRU-810A burnt 7.9GB in 15min (8.7MBps), beating its nearest competition, the ASUS DRW-1608P2S by 2min. Again, in the DVD+R tests, the DRU-810A blitzed the field. It burnt a full 4.09GB in 3min, a transfer rate of 22.72MBps, leaving the competition in its wake. The Lite-On 1635S comes the closest to it, but is still lagging two-and-a-half minutes behind. Even the ASUS, currently at number one in our Best Buys charts, was four-and-a-half minutes behind. Transfer speeds to the hard drive were suitably impressive at 15.5MBps, just behind ASUS.
Not only was the burn quality very good, the dual-layer discs worked in most DVD players except an older Pioneer 107 (this is due to the book type setting not defaulting to DVD-ROM).
The one drawback is that the DRU-810A is missing DVD-RAM compatibility, which is a fairly sizeable omission considering what Sony's competitors are offering at up to $50 cheaper.
But, if speed is your primary focus and missing DVD-RAM compatibility is not a problem for you, then the DRU-810A is a great buy.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Consultant (Security)Other
- CCSalesforce Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- CCNetwork Specialist - NetApp Storage and Cisco IP-SANVIC
- CCProject Coordinator/ Change AnalystVIC
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - HealthQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- TPSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCContinuous Improvement and Change Specialist (Black Belt) - Contract - Nth SydNSW
- CCTeam / Process / Project Coordinator ? Telco ? 6 mth contract - Nth SydNSW
- CCProject EngineerNSW
- FTIT Procurement Analyst - AWS, On-PremOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- TPChange Management OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTAPI Developer | Full stackOther
- CCSenior Storage Specialist - NetApp Storage and Cisco IP-SANVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Java developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCJava Tech Lead with AEMNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse DeveloperQLD
- CCSite Support Officer - FIFO - Cape PrestonWA
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW