- Good connectivity, aesthetically pleasing, fast printing, excellent image quality
- High print costs
The Sony's design, features and quality prints make it a fine choice. If Sony could get the cost per print down, it would be a must-have product.
Price$ 300.00 (AUD)
A member of Sony's line of dye-sublimation photo printers, the DPP-FP50 is a sleek little unit designed to look stylish yet unobtrusive in your living room. And why would you want it in your lounge? Because it features an AV port and a remote control, which let you hook it up to your TV to turn it into your own photo lab. With built-in software you can do basic editing and enhancements, such as red-eye reduction, cropping, rotating and adjusting brightness and sharpness, on the TV screen. You can also add text and fancy borders, if you wish, and run slide shows and then print any photo in the slide show with the remote.
The Sony has some of the best connectivity options on offer. There are built-in card readers for Memory Stick, CompactFlash and SD cards; a PictBridge port to connect a camera; the TV-out option; and a USB port to connect the printer to a PC (Sony's PictureGear software is supplied). For standalone printing, a control panel with buttons and monochrome LCD lets you navigate options.
All of this makes the DPP-FP50 a better option for owners of non-Kodak (or other ImageLink-compatible) cameras who want the excellent image quality of a dye sublimation printer. In our testing, the Sony printed superb quality photos at a very high speed. On average speed, it took 1 minute 13 seconds to produce a 4" x 6" print.
The Sony's has high print costs: at the time of writing, a 40-sheet paper/cartridge kit cost $44.95, for an average print cost of $1.12. If you buy the 80-sheet pack for $79 the cost drops slightly to 99 cents per print.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTProject Manager - ServiceNowOther
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTSAP PM Functional ConsultantOther
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTProject Support OfficerOther
- FTSenior Technical / Team LeadOther
- CCProject MangerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCIT Portfolio Management AnalystWA
- FTDatabase ConsultantOther
- FTService Desk Analyst (Night Shift)Other
- TPService Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPSolution Architect - AzureNSW
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- CCNetwork Security ArchitectQLD
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT