- Compact design, 5.1 Dolby surround sound, very good battery life, separate zoom and record button on side of LCD panel great for stable shooting
- Disappointing still quality, clunky design
The DCR-DVD653E is a high-quality, well-designed DVD camcorder, with very good audio features and a 20X optical zoom.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
When you pick up the diminutive DCRDVD653E, you realise that the disc itself is the main hindrance to the design. While most of the body is around 7.5cm high, the casing on the right-hand side of the body protrudes past the rest of the casing, due to the need to accommodate the 8cm disc. MiniDV tape and removable flash memory does not present this dilemma to designers. The Sony supports 8cm DVD-R/RW and +RW media.
The DCRDVD653E's ergonomics are very good, with the relevant zoom, record and shutter release buttons comfortably placed for instant, one-handed access while shooting.
Controls can also be accessed using an excellent 2.5" touch panel screen on the back portion of the camcorder. On the left-hand side of the LCD is an additional zoom and record button that you will find yourself using constantly, as it allows a much more stable shooting environment when using the screen to compose your scene. If you feel that the ambient light is too bright to use the LCD, you can always switch to the optical viewfinder, with dioptric adjustment for wearers of glasses.
The DCRDVD653E uses a quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, with an impressive 20X optical zoom. The alleged 800X total zoom figure (optical + digital) plastered on the casing should not be attempted, unless you want a pixilated special effect for your movie.
The camera can take stills, but it would be just as good to capture a screen directly from video footage, since the CCD only supports 640 x 480 stills. The DCRDVD653E excels in sound recording, however, being one of the few consumer video cameras to offer Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
A hot shoe on the DCRDVD653E allows you to add accessories such as an external microphone, flash or light.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSystems Support ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTest Analysts - agileACT
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- FTSharepoint DeveloperOther
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM DEVELOPER - BASELINE CLEARANCE REQUIRED - CANBERRAACT
- TPProject Manager - Records ManagementVIC
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCWintel EngineerWA
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer - ASP.NETVIC
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTSenior .NET Engineer - Back-EndNSW
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- CC.net developerNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW