- Compact design, 5.1 Dolby surround sound, very good battery life, separate zoom and record button on side of LCD panel great for stable shooting
- Disappointing still quality, clunky design
The DCR-DVD653E is a high-quality, well-designed DVD camcorder, with very good audio features and a 20X optical zoom.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
When you pick up the diminutive DCRDVD653E, you realise that the disc itself is the main hindrance to the design. While most of the body is around 7.5cm high, the casing on the right-hand side of the body protrudes past the rest of the casing, due to the need to accommodate the 8cm disc. MiniDV tape and removable flash memory does not present this dilemma to designers. The Sony supports 8cm DVD-R/RW and +RW media.
The DCRDVD653E's ergonomics are very good, with the relevant zoom, record and shutter release buttons comfortably placed for instant, one-handed access while shooting.
Controls can also be accessed using an excellent 2.5" touch panel screen on the back portion of the camcorder. On the left-hand side of the LCD is an additional zoom and record button that you will find yourself using constantly, as it allows a much more stable shooting environment when using the screen to compose your scene. If you feel that the ambient light is too bright to use the LCD, you can always switch to the optical viewfinder, with dioptric adjustment for wearers of glasses.
The DCRDVD653E uses a quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, with an impressive 20X optical zoom. The alleged 800X total zoom figure (optical + digital) plastered on the casing should not be attempted, unless you want a pixilated special effect for your movie.
The camera can take stills, but it would be just as good to capture a screen directly from video footage, since the CCD only supports 640 x 480 stills. The DCRDVD653E excels in sound recording, however, being one of the few consumer video cameras to offer Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
A hot shoe on the DCRDVD653E allows you to add accessories such as an external microphone, flash or light.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Netgear announce local availability for smarter, sharper, Alexa-friendly Arlo Pro 2
- Netgear to spin off Arlo
- CES 2018: Ring founder Jamie Siminoff sheds light on his vision for a more-connected, more-secure future
- CES 2018: Ring Bolster Security Offering With Cameras, Lights, Alarms and Subscription Service
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Monster Hunter World review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Analyst (EL1)QLD
- FTSAP Program Manager (Other
- FTSenior Success ManagerOther
- TPPrincipal Solution Architect | CloudQLD
- FTSenior Scrum MasterOther
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorACT
- TPImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTGRC Lead - ECS.113Other
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Full Stack DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaOther
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- TPManual Test AnalystQLD
- CCDevops EngineerVIC
- FTCloud Platform ArchitectOther
- FTCCNA Network EngineerOther
- FTUI / UX Junior AnalystQLD
- CCSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Engineer (RUN-BAU)VIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior MS SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst - Service Now - BrisbaneNSW