- Compact design, 5.1 Dolby surround sound, very good battery life, separate zoom and record button on side of LCD panel great for stable shooting
- Disappointing still quality, clunky design
The DCR-DVD653E is a high-quality, well-designed DVD camcorder, with very good audio features and a 20X optical zoom.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
When you pick up the diminutive DCRDVD653E, you realise that the disc itself is the main hindrance to the design. While most of the body is around 7.5cm high, the casing on the right-hand side of the body protrudes past the rest of the casing, due to the need to accommodate the 8cm disc. MiniDV tape and removable flash memory does not present this dilemma to designers. The Sony supports 8cm DVD-R/RW and +RW media.
The DCRDVD653E's ergonomics are very good, with the relevant zoom, record and shutter release buttons comfortably placed for instant, one-handed access while shooting.
Controls can also be accessed using an excellent 2.5" touch panel screen on the back portion of the camcorder. On the left-hand side of the LCD is an additional zoom and record button that you will find yourself using constantly, as it allows a much more stable shooting environment when using the screen to compose your scene. If you feel that the ambient light is too bright to use the LCD, you can always switch to the optical viewfinder, with dioptric adjustment for wearers of glasses.
The DCRDVD653E uses a quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, with an impressive 20X optical zoom. The alleged 800X total zoom figure (optical + digital) plastered on the casing should not be attempted, unless you want a pixilated special effect for your movie.
The camera can take stills, but it would be just as good to capture a screen directly from video footage, since the CCD only supports 640 x 480 stills. The DCRDVD653E excels in sound recording, however, being one of the few consumer video cameras to offer Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
A hot shoe on the DCRDVD653E allows you to add accessories such as an external microphone, flash or light.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIntegration Developer (Mulesoft)Other
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- CCProduct ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- FTProject Manager- develop strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrndOther
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileVIC
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTManager, Digital DeliveryOther