Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5
- Very little image lag, looks great, full set of functions, large LCD
- Image quality is a little lacking on default settings, camera could be a smaller
This is a great 5 megapixel camera, highly recommended unless you want a lighter model that sits comfortably in your pocket. Its image quality problems can be overcome with a little tweaking.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Sony Cyber-shot DSCW5 is both physically and functionally impressive. Weighing nearly 200g, it is one of the larger 5 megapixel models we've seen, but it's not as large as some of the 10X zoom models. It is housed in a black or silver aluminium chassis, and looks very suave, if a little big to lug around in your pocket.
It also sports a wonderful 115,000 pixel 2.5" LCD. The more time we spend with digital cameras, the more we are convinced that a large screen really improves the picture-taking experience. To see your subject lit up on a large, high-quality LCD is infinitely better than squinting at a blurry rendering on a 1.8" screen.
The number of manual features is equally impressive. You can control focus, shutter speed and aperture manually, as well as white balance, sharpness, saturation, brightness and ISO levels. The feature set is truly impressive for a 5 megapixel model.
It comes with 32MB of onboard memory and supports Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO flash memory cards for expansion.
The camera is equipped with Sony's Real Image Processor, which reduces the lag between shots. This makes a noticeable difference: the camera took only one or two seconds to recover between shots.
We found the camera's image quality lacking during our tests. While it produced some reasonable indoor shots, outdoor images came up a little pale. With a little tweaking of the camera's impressive settings, however, this could be easily rectified.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- FTProject Administrator, IT ProgramOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerWA
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTProgram Communications SpecialistOther
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTContract Specialist - TelecomOther
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- CCData AnalystQLD
- FTSplunk Engineer - starting next yearACT