Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P100
- Features applied in real time as you select them, slide show option, AF illuminator, battery countdown timer
- Poor macro function, high price
A very complete camera in a small package.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The 5.1 megapixel Sony Cyber-shot DSCP100 is a very compact and portable camera. It's fitted with a 3X optical Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens and also features 2X digital zoom.
For a small camera it has many neat features. As you navigate through the ISO settings (which range from Auto, 100, 200 and 400), the image on the LCD changes according to the ISO setting. For example, if you are indoors and move up from 100 speed film to 400 speed film, the image gets brighter as the CCD sensitivity increases. This is quite helpful in gauging, by eye, what is the best speed to use.
Similar changes are instantly represented on the 1.8" TFT LCD screen when selecting a picture effect. If you are in standard mode and choose either B&W or sepia, the screen changes accordingly. The same applies when selecting white balance or the exposure level.
Although exposure can be set to automatic, manual adjustment is also possible. The compensation can be set in 1/3EV steps and range from +2EV to -2EV. When scaling down from +2EV to -2EV, the image on the LCD screen goes from very bright to very dark, providing a real-life representation of how the image will look when captured. Although this is only applicable in Scene, Program and Movie modes, it is a useful tool.
The P100 allows aperture and shutter speeds to be set in manual mode. The aperture ranges from f2.8 to f10, while the shutter speed ranges from 30 seconds to 1/1000 of a second. The preset scenes include: twilight, twilight portrait, landscape, soft snap (skin colours), snow, beach, fireworks, candle and high-speed shutter mode. The latter mode is used for action shots in bright places. And brightness is essential here. Moving targets in low-lit areas came out far too dark to be of any practical use. Even shots taken in the ideal bright setting still appeared out of focus.
Once the image is taken, images can be rotated on screen. Images can be played back as a slide show that ranges from intervals of 3, 5, 10, 30 seconds right up to one minute. This is very handy for playing it back on the TV set via the camera's AV-out socket.
Although it's great for distant shots and portraits, the camera does not do so well with macro shots. Ideally you need to be about 30cm from an image to get the best definition. Too close and you lose focus.
Movies are saved as MPEG. When using Memory Stick PRO, the camera saves MPEG movies in Fine mode with 640 x 480 at 30fps. When using standard Memory Stick, it saves only in Standard mode at 640 x 480 and at 16.6fps. There is also the Video Mail option--160 x 112 at 8.3fps--which is adequate for its intended purpose of email but the video is too jumpy and low in quality to use for anything else.
Sony has employed a high-end feature on many of its models--an AF illuminator. In the P100, the AF illuminator is a red fill-light that shines on subjects when light levels are low, typically indoors or at night. This allows the camera to see subjects better, and ensure that shots taken are in focus. The illuminator shines for only a few seconds and automatically switches off when focus is locked-in. The only downside is that people, especially young kids, might find that a red light in the face is a little distracting. The illuminator can be switched off, but this increases the chance of taking out-of-focus shots unless the focus distance is preset in the menu setup.
Getting caught out with a dead battery is near impossible as the camera has a battery timer that counts down from 200 minutes. This means you can see how long is left on the lithium battery before recharging.
Deleting images could be speedier. Only one shot at a time can be deleted unless the card is reformatted via the Set Up function. The camera is PictBridge compatible, enabling direct printing from the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer.
Sony's Cyber-shot DSCP100 packs a lot for a small camera. It has a sleek look and features aplenty to keep any camera buyer satisfied.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolution Architect - Security/DigitalVIC
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- TPDigital Project Manager - SalesforceNSW
- FTJava Developer (API Development)Other
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- TPFrontend Developer - AngularNSW
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTFront End Developer l HTML5 , SCSS, Bootstrap, KnockOut, MVVPNSW
- FTProgress 8.3 DeveloperOther
- CCService management Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC