- Excellent audio performance, great Blu-ray and DVD upscaling playback, streamlined interface, attractive design
- Slight lag times at startup and when navigating discs
The BDP-S500 is a powerful Blu-ray player, geared towards enthusiasts. Its high-end audio capabilities is best suited to a system that already has high quality audio products, although even on its own it's a great device.
Price$ 1,049.00 (AUD)
Sony's BDP-S500 is the company's latest Blu-ray player to hit the market, geared for enthusiasts. Superior audio performance is the selling point for this model, alongside the already stellar video performance delivered by Blu-ray. In addition to the standard array of features, such as full 1080/24p playback, and DVD upscaling, the S500 also includes the capacity for uncompressed Linear PCM 7.1 surround sound, as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Alongside support for BD JAVA (which allows access to bonus material), the BDP-S500 is a high-end and very well rounded Blu-ray player.
Blu-ray playback on the S500 is excellent. Support for 24p means that with a compatible TV, users will be able to watch movies at a "native" 24fps (the frame rate used in movie cinemas). The video quality is everything we've come to expect from Blu-ray. As with most high-definition players, however, there is a slight lag when performing functions such as fast forward or skipping chapters. Although not longer than perhaps a second, it can be slightly irritating.
DVD upscaling is a core feature of high-definition players, and well it should be, as it means that existing DVD collections won't become obsolete. The S500 is capable of upscaling DVDs to up to 1080p resolution, although the 24p frame rate is only available for Blu-ray. This provides quite a noticeable difference, especially on large, high resolution screens, where the low resolution of DVDs looks blocky and pixelated. The upscaling provides a much clearer, better defined, and sharper image, and definitely does justice to DVDs on high-definition screens.
The player's audio performance is definitely one of its major attractions. All the major high-definition audio formats are supported, along with up to 7.1 channels. Users with a system larger than 5.1 will need a separate receiver though, as the S500 only includes analogue outputs for 5.1 systems. In general, we found the player's audio performance to be excellent, and only the most avid enthusiasts should find the need for a dedicated receiver/amplifier (unless using a 6.1 or greater system, of course).
Sony has taken care with the design of the S500, keeping it in line with its target audience of enthusiasts. It's quite attractive, with a glass front panel and buttons located on the top edge, rather than the front face. The rear panel houses 5.1 analogue audio connections, in addition to the standard array of ports, including HDMI.
The on-screen menu is incredibly simple, and easy to access and navigate. A well laid-out remote makes operating the S500 a breeze, and despite its high level of performance, there are actually relatively few options that will need tweaking, even on an irregular basis. The entire interface is highly streamlined and efficient. Now, if only they could get rid of the lag times!
Overall, though, the BDP-S500 is a great high-end Blu-ray player. Its extra audio capacities make it a great choice for those with the other equipment to take full advantage of them. While those without similarly high-end gear would probably be better served by a less expensive unit, for enthusiasts this is a great product.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Manager - Network Assurance - TelcoVIC
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTTechnical Specialist - IP Networks / TelcoOther
- TPNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- CCService DesignerACT
- FTDeveloper- Xamarin, ASP.Net, Ajax, Java Script, MVC , AndroidOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperQLD
- FTProject CoordinatorACT
- CCSenior .Net Developer/ Team LeadQLD
- TPIT Security EngineerQLD
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Coordiantor - Warehouse and Supply Chain ManagementOther
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- CCDrupal Developer / Site BuilderNSW
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTRadio Communications Field TechnicianOther