- Good value for money, great high-definition playback including 24Hz support
- Slightly long lag times with Blu-ray playback and power-up, lack of support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD audio codecs
The BDP-S300 is an excellent value Blu-ray player, delivering a great feature list for a much more affordable price than most advanced units.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The BDP-S300 is Sony's entry-level Blu-ray player. Although it lacks the advanced design and features of more advanced models, its low price point makes it a solid choice for those unwilling to make a larger investment at this time. With excellent high-definition playback, DVD upscaling, and 24Hz playback capability, the S300 definitely covers the important bases, and offers an incredibly attractive package for an upgrade to high definition.
Blu-ray playback is exceptional, and the S300 includes everything needed to experience high definition to its full potential. The 24Hz playback mode, assuming that the unit is connected to a compatible TV, plays the movie at the same frame rate as in the cinemas, giving viewers a purer, more unaltered viewing experience. The only complaint we had with Blu-ray playback was the lag times, at around 2-3 seconds for every chapter skip or fast forward, which can be quite hefty. Nevertheless, these amount to nothing more than a minor annoyance, and we can't fault the quality of the playback.
DVD upscaling is an important part of any high-definition player, as it ensures that users won't have their old collections made obsolete, and will be able to enjoy them at close to the quality of newer, high-definition titles. The S300 handles upscaling to 1080p respectably, showing a definite and visible increase in quality. We did notice some slight pixelation issues, but otherwise the upscaling is generally quite good.
Audio is probably the S300's weakest point, as it lacks the ability to decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD surround sound formats, the formats generally used on high-definition audio discs. You'll still be able to get the regular Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound tracks, but for users that want every bit of audio support available, a higher-end model may be a better option. Nevertheless, the unit supports 7.1 channels, and uncompressed Linear PCM audio.
The player is relatively large, especially compared to some of the slimmer DVD players; however it should still fit within the majority of home entertainment cabinets. The back panel houses a complete range of connection options, including HDMI and 5.1 analogue outputs. Unfortunately, there's also a considerable lag when switching the player on, somewhere in the region of about a minute before the disc in it actually starts playing. This is frustrating, but nothing incredibly serious.
Overall, the S300 is an excellent Blu-ray player. It doesn't include some of the advanced features that higher-end models provide, although these are generally geared towards enthusiasts. Its lag times and lack of HD audio support may irk some users, but for its price it represents excellent value for money.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- FTChange Manager, Agile Environment, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- FTAutomation Tester | C# & Selenium | Leading SaaS FintechNSW
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer/ ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperSA
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA