Soniq iM600K iPod dock
A cheap Soniq iPod dock with impressive sound quality
- Great audio quality, solid build, charges iPod and has a very nice price
- Attracts fingerprints, motorised dock could be a tad faster
If you’re in the market for an iPod dock and don’t want to spend a lot of money, then run out of your house flailing your arms excitedly and buy the Soniq iM600K. It’s got an line-in port for connecting non-Apple MP3 players and it delivers better audio than some pricier iPod docks.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Soniq's iM600K iPod dock impressed us with its sound quality and low $129 price tag.
It looks somewhat like a fancy futuristic toaster, but the Soniq iM600K is actually rather easy on the eye. The iM600K has a black satin finish that looks nice, though it cops fingerprints like a crime scene so it’s probably a good idea to give it a wipe down every now and then. A brushed aluminium border around the bottom of the unit gives the otherwise very minimalist design some pizzazz.
Soniq has motorised the dock for the iPod so that it rises up from inside the device (slowly). A window with a mirrored finish sits in unit's centre and lets you to see your iPod or iPhone. You can navigate through music with the bundled remote control.
The iM600K might seem surprisingly big considering its lack of features; an alarm clock and an FM radio tuner, as well as the dock itself, are all that's on offer. The reason for the bulk is the integrated subwoofer and two very impressive speakers.
Audio quality was surprisingly pleasing; treble, bass and mid tones all have a good level of clarity and are able to expose fine detail in our test music. There is minimal distortion when volume is high, and when the bass booster is switched on it doesn’t muffle the audio (unlike the Philips DC350).
The unit will connect with any iPod that has dock connector; the iPhone is not officially supported but it worked perfectly during our tests. An auxiliary input at the back of the Soniq iM600K allows you to plug in any other MP3 player. (You won't be able to use the motorised dock, but you could always employ it as some kind of motorised wallet holder.)
We were thoroughly impressed with the Soniq iM600K. The motorised iPod cradle is somewhat gimmicky, but the iM600K is great for anyone with a digital music library who wants to keep their iPod charged. If you're in the market for an iPod dock then you should definitely check it out.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 4 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 5 Acer Aspire 5 review: An affordable laptop that’s enjoyable to use
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- Top 10 best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- 25 Essential Party Games On PC And Console To Play With Family And Friends
- Mesh Wi-Fi vs Traditional Routers: Which is better?
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies