Sonim XP3 Enduro mobile phone
The Sonin XP3 Enduro is a ruggedised and waterproof phone that is hard to break and easy to use
- Very tough, waterproof to one metre for up to 30min, good interface
- Calls sound slightly muffled and fuzzy, software needs to be downloaded, only waterproof to one metre
The Sonim XP3 Enduro ruggedised GSM mobile phone is tough, waterproof and very good value. If you have an active lifestyle or work in a tough environment where accidents are common, this is a phone that's well worth a look.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Sonim XP3 Enduro is a ruggedised GSM mobile phone that is tough and waterproof. If you live or work in conditions where accidental drops are common, this is a phone that will come in handy.
If you're a tradie, construction worker or just a fan of the outdoors, you'll be interested in ruggedised phones. As GSM coverage grows to include increasingly remote locations, mobile phones like the Telstra F158 and the Sonim XP3 Enduro must be built to cope with the conditions.
The Sonim XP3 Enduro feels very solid and capable of taking some punishment. Sonim says that the mobile phone can be repeatedly dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres, and we tested this claim on a variety of surfaces.
When dropped on concrete, tiles, dirt and wood, the phone usually stayed on.
When we dropped it at an angle that focussed the force of the fall on a single corner, however, the Sonim XP3 Enduro switched off and the SIM card disconnected. This meant that we had to unscrew the back plate and remove the battery before reassembling the phone. Both the phone and the SIM card were completely undamaged.
The screws are there for a good reason. Between the back plate and the Sonim XP3 Enduro's chassis sits a small rim of clear rubber, which forms a seal that prevents water from seeping into the phone.
The Sonim XP3 boasts an IP-57 protection rating (strong dust and water resistance) and MIL-STD-810F certification.
Sonim says that the phone can be kept at a depth of up to 1 metre for 30min, and during our tests we were able to operate the phone underwater. Although the one metre limit means that scuba divers won't be text messaging anytime soon, accidentally dropping the phone into a bucket of water or a pool shouldn't cause long term damage.
Sonim utilises a simple icon-based menu with a range of functions like a phonebook, organiser, voice recorder, picture browser and call lists. The Sonim XP3 Enduro has no built-in camera or MP3 playing capability, and has only 10MB of internal storage. The menu is quick and easy to use. The well-spaced buttons make the handset simple to operate, even when wearing gloves.
By holding down the button on right side for three seconds you can turn on an LED light; you could use it if you're having trouble fitting a key into a lock in the dark, for example.
When connected via the mini-USB port to a computer with the Mobile Phone PC-Tools software installed, you can sync your address book and organiser or use the Sonim XP3 Enduro as a wireless GPRS modem to connect to the Internet. Sonim doesn't include the software with the handset, so you'll need to download it first.
Outgoing and incoming audio are fuzzy and distant sounding. This is common for water-resistant phones, as the speaker and microphone must be more isolated than in standard phones. Even so, the sound quality is good enough for comfortable conversations. According to Sonim, the XP3 Enduro has 6 hours of talk time and 320 hours of standby time.
The Sonim XP3 Enduro is available for $0 upfront on selected Crazy John's and Vodafone Cap plans of $49 a month and above or $599 upfront for the handset alone. The handset is exclusively sold through Crazy John's.
Join the newsletter!
Brought to you by Norton Symantec
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- ZTE's Android days may soon be over
- Google phases out first-gen Pixel smartphones
- ALDImobile’s bring back 1 Year Super Data pack
- New update allows Google Lens to identify pet breeds
- NAB Adds Google Pay
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTProgram Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- CCNetwork SpecialistACT
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - Contract until 30 June 2018QLD
- CCProject Manager - CRMQLD
- CCPlatform ArchitectVIC
- FTERP Technical Analyst - PeoplesoftOther
- TPPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role)SA
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- TPSenior Technical Analyst - Oracle PeopleSoftQLD
- CCIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTData Reporting AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - PermanentOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCFront End .Net Developer ? Multiple RolesQLD
- FTAWS AdministratorOther
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTEnterprise ArchitectOther
- TPEnterprise Architect | QLD Health | $1173/day | BrisbaneNSW
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- CCService ManagerVIC
- FTDigital DesignerOther