Snap Appliance Snap Server 1100
- Great features, easy setup
- Lacklustre performance
The Snap Server is a top-notch network-attached storage device that would appeal to both IT professionals and power users. Its security features were noteworthy, but its performance was not.
Price$ 596.70 (AUD)
For small to medium-size offices, the Snap Server 1100 is a popular choice. Of the NAS units we tested, this device has the most capable software, including advanced features such as support for NetWare, AppleShare, and NFS servers (for cross-platform setups and older devices). The Snap Server 1100 also supports HTTP (Web browser) and FTP access; flexible user-security and group-security settings; and the ability to sync one Snap Server with another over a network.
Don't let this extensive set of features scare you off. Basic setup is quite easy: just plug in the Snap Server 1100 and type http://SNAP plus the server number shown on the bottom of the unit (for example, http://SNAP30123), and the Web Administration tool will open in your Web browser.
The Snap Server's default settings allow anyone on the network to access the drive and any directories/folders on it. To create a more secure situation, you can configure user, group, and file and folder-level permissions in the administration utility. User guides in Snap Appliance's online support area explain how to set up permissions, a great benefit for non-IT types.
For backing up local PCs to the NAS, the Snap Server 1100 comes with Symantec V2i Protector, a feature-filled utility that can back up any selection of files and folders, or even a full system, and restore them from a specified point in time.
We were hoping that the Snap Server 1100's performance would be as impressive as the advanced features, but it wasn't. It took more than twice as long to copy and write files as the best NAS units we have tested.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCHelpdesk Support roleNSW
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTProcess SME (Continuous Improvement)Other
- FTNetwork Test ManagerVIC
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- FTFront End UI Web DeveloperOther
- FT.Net - Sitecore DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTUI Developer / Front-End DevloperQLD
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- TPDesktop Support ConsultantVIC
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- CCSenior Oracle ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Tester - HardwareOther
- CCeLearning DeveloperACT
- CCMultiple Python DeveloperVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther