Snap Appliance Snap Server 1100
- Great features, easy setup
- Lacklustre performance
The Snap Server is a top-notch network-attached storage device that would appeal to both IT professionals and power users. Its security features were noteworthy, but its performance was not.
Price$ 596.70 (AUD)
For small to medium-size offices, the Snap Server 1100 is a popular choice. Of the NAS units we tested, this device has the most capable software, including advanced features such as support for NetWare, AppleShare, and NFS servers (for cross-platform setups and older devices). The Snap Server 1100 also supports HTTP (Web browser) and FTP access; flexible user-security and group-security settings; and the ability to sync one Snap Server with another over a network.
Don't let this extensive set of features scare you off. Basic setup is quite easy: just plug in the Snap Server 1100 and type http://SNAP plus the server number shown on the bottom of the unit (for example, http://SNAP30123), and the Web Administration tool will open in your Web browser.
The Snap Server's default settings allow anyone on the network to access the drive and any directories/folders on it. To create a more secure situation, you can configure user, group, and file and folder-level permissions in the administration utility. User guides in Snap Appliance's online support area explain how to set up permissions, a great benefit for non-IT types.
For backing up local PCs to the NAS, the Snap Server 1100 comes with Symantec V2i Protector, a feature-filled utility that can back up any selection of files and folders, or even a full system, and restore them from a specified point in time.
We were hoping that the Snap Server 1100's performance would be as impressive as the advanced features, but it wasn't. It took more than twice as long to copy and write files as the best NAS units we have tested.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Monster Hunter World review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Test Analyst - Service NowQLD
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerOther
- CCiOS DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Test Analyst - Service Now - BrisbaneNSW
- FTCampaign ManagerOther
- CCInfoSphere SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Performance AnalystOther
- FTCampaign ManagerOther
- CCApplication Support Analyst - Level 2QLD
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTDevelopment Expert (EL1)SA
- FTSQL Developer / Data AnalystOther
- FTSAP HR / ABAP ConsultantWA
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCDigital UX OfficerNSW
- FTConsulting Java DeveloperQLD
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCFull Stack .NET / Angular Developer with UX/UINSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer/DesignerVIC