Snap Appliance Snap Server 1100
- Great features, easy setup
- Lacklustre performance
The Snap Server is a top-notch network-attached storage device that would appeal to both IT professionals and power users. Its security features were noteworthy, but its performance was not.
Price$ 596.70 (AUD)
For small to medium-size offices, the Snap Server 1100 is a popular choice. Of the NAS units we tested, this device has the most capable software, including advanced features such as support for NetWare, AppleShare, and NFS servers (for cross-platform setups and older devices). The Snap Server 1100 also supports HTTP (Web browser) and FTP access; flexible user-security and group-security settings; and the ability to sync one Snap Server with another over a network.
Don't let this extensive set of features scare you off. Basic setup is quite easy: just plug in the Snap Server 1100 and type http://SNAP plus the server number shown on the bottom of the unit (for example, http://SNAP30123), and the Web Administration tool will open in your Web browser.
The Snap Server's default settings allow anyone on the network to access the drive and any directories/folders on it. To create a more secure situation, you can configure user, group, and file and folder-level permissions in the administration utility. User guides in Snap Appliance's online support area explain how to set up permissions, a great benefit for non-IT types.
For backing up local PCs to the NAS, the Snap Server 1100 comes with Symantec V2i Protector, a feature-filled utility that can back up any selection of files and folders, or even a full system, and restore them from a specified point in time.
We were hoping that the Snap Server 1100's performance would be as impressive as the advanced features, but it wasn't. It took more than twice as long to copy and write files as the best NAS units we have tested.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSAP ABAP DevelopersVIC
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTOffice 365 and Cloud Business AnalystOther
- TPLead Data Business AnalystQLD
- CCMultiple Business AnalystsACT
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCMigration EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystems AnalystsOther
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- FTNet DeveloperOther
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- TPLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTHR Analyst - Remuneration & PerformanceOther
- FTIT Contract ManagerWA
- TPApplication Packaging & Support ConsultantVIC
- FTTeam Lead, Asset Mgmt & OperationsOther
- TPIT Security EngineerQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- CCNetwork Data AdminVIC
- FTChange ConsultantOther