Stuffit Deluxe 2010
The main new feature of Stuffit Deluxe 2010 is Stuffit SmartSend
- Could do with some refinement
Users of Stuffit 2009 will probably find the upgrade to Stuffit Deluxe 2010 worthwhile, and the SmartSend feature is likely to be useful in many circumstances. It's just not as useful as it could be or perhaps will be, with a little more development time.
Price$ 57.76 (AUD)
Stuffit Deluxe 2010 is the latest iteration of Stuffit, which is the dominant file compression protocol in the Macintosh world.
Stuffit Deluxe 2010 handles all the common, and many uncommon, Windows protocols as well - zip, rar, tar, gzip, and more - but then so do WinZip, PKZip, and the like. Given that general compression performance is very similar across the board, what does Stuffit 2010 offer in terms of bells and whistles? There's one major new feature added, but as of this writing it's a mixed bag.
The main new feature of Stuffit Deluxe 2010 is Stuffit SmartSend, a feature which helps get around the fact that as file sizes bloat, adding attachments to email becomes more complex.
We are sure everyone has experienced the pain and heartbreak of getting a "bounce" on a 10 meg file, or having mail vanish because it contains a file type which the local network admin has decided is a risk. (For example, it's very hard to email .exe or .bat files to someone behind a decent corporate firewall - not without reason.)
SmartSend can be set to filter by both file save (for example, over 5 megabytes) and file type, and then, instead of emailing the file, it will email a link to the file, either to an FTP site you have specified or to Stuffit Connect, a separate online file service with up to 2 gig of storage which you get access to as part of your purchase (but Stuffit Connect isn't accessible with the trial version). It's a great idea, but how well does it work?
Well, it's a great idea.
We were unable to send a moderately large file - about 150MB - to the service. It simply hung during upload, constantly resetting the progress bar. This bug has been confirmed by the company and is in the process of being remedied as of this writing.
We were able to send a smaller (about 7MB) file without much trouble. Even if our first upload issue was related to our system or connection, the entire process is not as convenient as it should be. Stuffit SmartSend doesn't integrate with your mailer of choice; you need to use it as a standalone function, either via the Stuffit program or by selecting from a right-click menu in Explorer.
Second, the process is unintuitive; you create an archive, you "SmartSend" it, then you decide whom you wish to inform about the presence of the file. Given the hoops you must jump through, it's not significantly easier than just uploading the file to an FTP server and then emailing the people you want to access it.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA
- TPOBIEE/Java DeveloperACT
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerOther
- CCUser Experience DesignerACT
- CCSecurity SpecialistQLD
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTCRM DeveloperACT
- FTIT Systems AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project Manager - Risk & ComplianceNSW
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Contracting & Licensing AnalystOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Graphic DesignerACT
- CCDesktop EngineerQLD
- CCFull Stack Developer (Angular / .Net)NSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTWintel LeadOther
- FTIntegration LeadOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTApplication/Systems Support AnalystOther
- TPProgram ManagerACT
- CCNetwork Security SpecialistVIC