Smith Micro Poser Pro
- Animated scene integration into 3-D apps, Normal Mapping, HDRI export, Collada export, background rendering, network rendering, gamma correction
- Vista-related gripes, much faster on Mac OS X than Windows, expensive,for everyday users
Poser Pro is expensive for non-professional users, but with TV and commercial budgets getting squeezed all the time, it's a relatively low-cost solution for getting decent-quality character animation into a professional 3-D pipeline.
Price$ 499.99 (AUD)
Now owned by Smith Micro, Poser Pro is built on the Poser 7 character-animation solution and comes with that version's Generation 2 family of fully rigged figures, SydneyG2 and SimonG2.
You can download the Poser 6 and Poser7 Legacy Content collections with the application's serial number. However, the main improvements in this Pro version have more to do with rendering and extending the reach of the main application.
Normal mapping has been introduced to the Material Room, allowing you to use 2-D image textures to create the appearance of complex surface detail on 3-D objects. It's useful for adding intricate detail quickly without the huge polygonal overheads that a 3-D solution would incur. Poser Pro also offers gamma correction on the Texture Manager, allowing you to specify gamma values per texture. This gives you the ability to exclude certain textures from scene-wide gamma correction, and comes in handy when dealing with displacement or normal maps.
Although computers are continually getting faster, rendering still eats up processing power. Smith Micro has adopted the approach taken by the likes of Autodesk by allowing users to spread the load across networked computers to render complex scenes and lengthy animations. The QueueManager is slightly tricky to set up, but you can install it on client machines on your network and send a job to it directly from within Poser.
Still with the focus on rendering, Poser Pro includes both 64- and 32-bit versions of the Firefly render engine. Depending on what system you are running on, Poser Pro will select the most powerful engine. The 64-bit engine can be used on 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Vista, as well as Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). When we tested it, rendering time was significantly sliced on an Intel MacBook running Leopard compared to both a Dual G5 running Mac OS X 10.4 and a Vista powered PC.
The application also ran faster all round on the Leopard system. You do need a lot of system memory and disk space is a premium for complex animations, but with a well-specified 64-bit machine you're likely to see performance increases when rendering such large files.
One welcome feature is that both versions of the Firefly engine also let you render in the background, allowing you to open and close other scene files, save your project, and continue working while it gets on with rendering in another of the window tabs.
Poser Pro takes the application to studio level. To this end, Poser Pro includes the PoserFusion Hosting Plug-ins, which allow you to open and host Poser scene files and 3D content within production environment applications such as 3DS Max, Maya and Cinema 4D. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be compatible with 3DS Max Design 2009 yet. However, Poser Pro can also handle data exchange with other applications that support the Collada format, including Photoshop.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPrinciple Health Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - Syd / MelbNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCPolicy OfficerNSW
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop SupportQLD
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Wealth & Fund Management ApplicationsOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTTechnical AnalystSA
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- FTProject Manager - SAP Asset ManagementOther
- TPProject Manager - Governance and L&DQLD
- FTSecurity AdvisorOther
- FTArchitect - Governance and Practice DevelopmentOther
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTCRM / MS Dynamics Architect / Sr ConsultantACT
- FTSQL Developer / Data AnalystOther
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTLevel 2 - Service Desk AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCTableau Data AnalystNSW
- FTIT Security OfficerVIC
- CCIncident ManagerNSW