Smith Micro Poser Pro
- Animated scene integration into 3-D apps, Normal Mapping, HDRI export, Collada export, background rendering, network rendering, gamma correction
- Vista-related gripes, much faster on Mac OS X than Windows, expensive,for everyday users
Poser Pro is expensive for non-professional users, but with TV and commercial budgets getting squeezed all the time, it's a relatively low-cost solution for getting decent-quality character animation into a professional 3-D pipeline.
Price$ 499.99 (AUD)
Now owned by Smith Micro, Poser Pro is built on the Poser 7 character-animation solution and comes with that version's Generation 2 family of fully rigged figures, SydneyG2 and SimonG2.
You can download the Poser 6 and Poser7 Legacy Content collections with the application's serial number. However, the main improvements in this Pro version have more to do with rendering and extending the reach of the main application.
Normal mapping has been introduced to the Material Room, allowing you to use 2-D image textures to create the appearance of complex surface detail on 3-D objects. It's useful for adding intricate detail quickly without the huge polygonal overheads that a 3-D solution would incur. Poser Pro also offers gamma correction on the Texture Manager, allowing you to specify gamma values per texture. This gives you the ability to exclude certain textures from scene-wide gamma correction, and comes in handy when dealing with displacement or normal maps.
Although computers are continually getting faster, rendering still eats up processing power. Smith Micro has adopted the approach taken by the likes of Autodesk by allowing users to spread the load across networked computers to render complex scenes and lengthy animations. The QueueManager is slightly tricky to set up, but you can install it on client machines on your network and send a job to it directly from within Poser.
Still with the focus on rendering, Poser Pro includes both 64- and 32-bit versions of the Firefly render engine. Depending on what system you are running on, Poser Pro will select the most powerful engine. The 64-bit engine can be used on 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Vista, as well as Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). When we tested it, rendering time was significantly sliced on an Intel MacBook running Leopard compared to both a Dual G5 running Mac OS X 10.4 and a Vista powered PC.
The application also ran faster all round on the Leopard system. You do need a lot of system memory and disk space is a premium for complex animations, but with a well-specified 64-bit machine you're likely to see performance increases when rendering such large files.
One welcome feature is that both versions of the Firefly engine also let you render in the background, allowing you to open and close other scene files, save your project, and continue working while it gets on with rendering in another of the window tabs.
Poser Pro takes the application to studio level. To this end, Poser Pro includes the PoserFusion Hosting Plug-ins, which allow you to open and host Poser scene files and 3D content within production environment applications such as 3DS Max, Maya and Cinema 4D. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be compatible with 3DS Max Design 2009 yet. However, Poser Pro can also handle data exchange with other applications that support the Collada format, including Photoshop.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTHealthcare Pre-Sales Consultant - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- TPLead Solutions Architect - SAP SuccessFactorsQLD
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerNSW
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- TPProject Manager - MortgagesNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperACT
- CCSAP Subject Matter ExpertQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCRPA DeveloperVIC