Anime Studio Pro 6
Smith Micro touts its software as being ideal for designers and artists who’ve never dipped their toes into animation
- Powerful, affordable, supports 3D elements, bundled library of assets, lip-synching
- Studio 6 Debut edition offers many of the same features for a fraction of the price.
Anime Studio Pro 6 offers a full suite of animation tools allowing new users and old alike to quickly create compelling animations. Don’t be put off by the ‘Anime’ bit of the title; it is capable of creating every style of cartoon animation and it does it with aplomb.
Price$ 258.29 (AUD)
Anime Studio Pro 6 is a professional animation tool that can create broadcast-quality animations complete with visual effects. Available in two versions, Debut and Pro, it offers a low-cost entry to the world of animation and a useful alternative to Flash for creating animation.
Smith Micro touts its software as being ideal for designers and artists who’ve never dipped their toes into animation. This is underpinned by Anime Studio’s support for importing both Photoshop and Illustrator native files. The software has a full suite of vector-based drawing tools, too, so you can do a lot of work without leaving Anime Studio.
These tools work a lot like those found in Flash but behave sufficiently differently to Photoshop and Illustrator to have you scratching your head at first; after a short learning curve you’ll be drawing simple characters and props with ease, though.
The basic tools include a Freehand Pencil tool, an Auto-Curve Bezier Point tool and a Primitive Shapes tool. There’s also a series of tools to quickly and intuitively bend and twist your artwork. Adding perspective is simple: choose the Perspective Points tool, click, and drag.
Similarly, Anime Studio offers a range of options for shearing, bending, and adding random displacement into your artwork. Although the tools may initially appear simplistic (and you won’t have the same degree of control you find in Illustrator or Photoshop), once you’ve mastered the toolset it’s possible to create sophisticated art quickly.
You don’t need to master the drawing tools straightaway, however, as Smith Micro has thoughtfully included a range of pre-built assets including its characters Jace, Thorn, and Thunder (a horse). These are useful for seeing how the bone system works – more on that later.
As well as the characters, the new library allows for easy browsing and insertion of a wide selection of assets. Some assets are pre-animated, allowing you to see in action how the software hangs together. While you might not want to use any of this supplied art long-term, it does enable you to quickly create your first animation without worrying about creating the cast.
Including these pre-animated elements was a good decision on the part of Smith Micro, particularly as it hopes to persuade you to use its online marketplace for assets, where you can pick up free content as well as paid-for elements.
Anime Studio Pro offers a simple-to-use bone system to help control how different parts of your character can move. If you’re familiar with the Puppet tool in After Effects, you’ll instantly feel at home with this concept create a skeleton by drawing bones onto your character and manipulate the position of the bones to animate.
The software does a good job of working out how the regions where bones meet should bend to allow movement, making character animation a breeze, even for inexperienced users.
This is the mainstay of Anime Studio Pro and makes it effortlessly usable.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- TPProject ServicesACT
- CCTechnical WriterQLD
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantQLD
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersVIC
- FTSystems Engineering Design Acceptance LeadACT
- FTTechnical Specialist - IP Networks / TelcoOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager - Telecommunications & ITSA
- CCDrupal Developer / Site BuilderNSW
- FTSAP Business AnalystOther
- CCCognos/Datastage DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTImplementation ManagerOther
- TPChange Analyst / ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTJava Implementation EngineerVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTTalent Acquisition Specialist - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- CCAutomation Developer ? Linux Dev Ops EngineerNSW
- FTScrum MasterOther