Anime Studio Pro 6
Smith Micro touts its software as being ideal for designers and artists who’ve never dipped their toes into animation
- Powerful, affordable, supports 3D elements, bundled library of assets, lip-synching
- Studio 6 Debut edition offers many of the same features for a fraction of the price.
Anime Studio Pro 6 offers a full suite of animation tools allowing new users and old alike to quickly create compelling animations. Don’t be put off by the ‘Anime’ bit of the title; it is capable of creating every style of cartoon animation and it does it with aplomb.
Price$ 258.29 (AUD)
Anime Studio Pro 6 is a professional animation tool that can create broadcast-quality animations complete with visual effects. Available in two versions, Debut and Pro, it offers a low-cost entry to the world of animation and a useful alternative to Flash for creating animation.
Smith Micro touts its software as being ideal for designers and artists who’ve never dipped their toes into animation. This is underpinned by Anime Studio’s support for importing both Photoshop and Illustrator native files. The software has a full suite of vector-based drawing tools, too, so you can do a lot of work without leaving Anime Studio.
These tools work a lot like those found in Flash but behave sufficiently differently to Photoshop and Illustrator to have you scratching your head at first; after a short learning curve you’ll be drawing simple characters and props with ease, though.
The basic tools include a Freehand Pencil tool, an Auto-Curve Bezier Point tool and a Primitive Shapes tool. There’s also a series of tools to quickly and intuitively bend and twist your artwork. Adding perspective is simple: choose the Perspective Points tool, click, and drag.
Similarly, Anime Studio offers a range of options for shearing, bending, and adding random displacement into your artwork. Although the tools may initially appear simplistic (and you won’t have the same degree of control you find in Illustrator or Photoshop), once you’ve mastered the toolset it’s possible to create sophisticated art quickly.
You don’t need to master the drawing tools straightaway, however, as Smith Micro has thoughtfully included a range of pre-built assets including its characters Jace, Thorn, and Thunder (a horse). These are useful for seeing how the bone system works – more on that later.
As well as the characters, the new library allows for easy browsing and insertion of a wide selection of assets. Some assets are pre-animated, allowing you to see in action how the software hangs together. While you might not want to use any of this supplied art long-term, it does enable you to quickly create your first animation without worrying about creating the cast.
Including these pre-animated elements was a good decision on the part of Smith Micro, particularly as it hopes to persuade you to use its online marketplace for assets, where you can pick up free content as well as paid-for elements.
Anime Studio Pro offers a simple-to-use bone system to help control how different parts of your character can move. If you’re familiar with the Puppet tool in After Effects, you’ll instantly feel at home with this concept create a skeleton by drawing bones onto your character and manipulate the position of the bones to animate.
The software does a good job of working out how the regions where bones meet should bend to allow movement, making character animation a breeze, even for inexperienced users.
This is the mainstay of Anime Studio Pro and makes it effortlessly usable.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistQLD
- FTInformation Security ArchitectQLD
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- TPDigital Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTEmail Marketing SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- FTLooking for Software TestersACT
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- FTDemand Release ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support - Microsoft Office 365 experienceNSW