Skullcandy SK Pro
- Above average sound, Closed design works well for blocking out sound
- Mid range distortion, Clamping effect on the head
A solid pair of headphones that has sound quality belying their rather eccentric design.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Skullcandy's line of extreme sports headphones float right on the edge between cool and just plain over the top and the noise cancelling SK Pro are no exception. With a unique aesthetic and a bass heavy sound, the quality of their audio surprised us, and while their balance isn't suited to all types of music, for certain listeners it will be quite satisfying.
The SK Pro aren't quite as out there in terms of design as some of Skullcandy's other models. They sport a fairly plain black motif, with cream coloured padding around the headphone cups. Of course they are still emblazoned with Skullcandy logos which look a little strange, but quite frankly we're just glad they don't replicate the white, padded, studded aesthetic of their sister model, the Ti.
They are quite comfortable thanks to plenty of padding and rotatable, extendable cups. However the noise cancelling nature of the design means they do put quite a bit of pressure on your head, so you may need to take a break every so often. We found they are adequately isolated from external noise, but they won't totally block out things like busy city ambience; the SK Pro don't have active noise cancelling technology, instead relying on their closed design to keep sound out.
Of course sound quality is the key element of a pair of headphones, and the SK Pro, while far from the best we've heard, manage to produce above average sound that will please a variety of listeners. They offer quite energetic presentation that we found best suited to fast paced music like dance and hip hop. It was also quite reasonable for rock music, although there was a bit of distortion present in the mid range which was most noticeable when listening to this genre.
Our rock tests also revealed that the SK Pro have quite a metallic sound, very evident in guitar solos. They are noticeably weighted towards the lower registers, with the prominent bass and low mid range giving them quite a warm tone. This was enhanced by the slow nature of the bass, which reverberated for quite some time after a note was struck.
The highs were vibrant and powerful without being harsh, which contributed to the energetic style of the SK Pro; they did however tend to get drowned out a little by the bass. There was great separation in the upper registers, but the mid range got a little congested at times, which again had an impact on complex rock or heavy metal. This is definitely a pair of headphones that is much better suited to some musical styles and not others.
We were a little disappointed by the SK Pro's soundstage; the one area this product seemed to really be lacking. The positioning of instruments felt quite fake to us, and it didn't create the immersion we're used to feeling when listening to other pairs of headphones.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSQL DBA SpecialistVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerOther
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistOther
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- FTIT Systems AdministratorOther
- FTJava Developer - Networking ExperienceOther
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC
- FTPMO LeadOther
- FTSharepoint DeveloperOther
- FTAPS 4 Records Management OfficerACT
- FTSenior Unix/Linux EngineerNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)Other
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTLead ArchitectVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Medical ImagingQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- TPNetwork and Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- FTFrontend DeveloperOther
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- FTProject ManagerOther