Siemens Gigaset C470IP
A great dual-mode handset
- Dual-mode; support for six SIP carriers; supports SMS, IM and e-mail; easy to use Web interface; decent call quality
- Handset LCD resolution isn’t good enough for IM and e-mail; ugly base station
This is a great option for those on the lookout for a dual-mode VoIP solution (with some mobile-like functionality on the side). Text-intensive functions, like e-mail and instant messaging, don’t look the best on the screen’s low resolution, but the phone’s VoIP clarity was excellent, surpassing business-class VoIP phones.
With the Gigaset C470IP, Siemens combines Voice over IP (VoIP) and PSTN functionality in a dual-mode phone with a bevy of features that should suit the typical home user. Support for six different handsets and three simultaneous calls over the handsets also make it a viable option for a small office or busy house.
The C470IP isn't the prettiest device, but it's the functionality that counts. The device supports six different SIP accounts as well as a PSTN fallback line, effectively allowing users to mix and match seven different telephone operators in order to get the cheapest local and international calls. The carriers aren't tied to specific handsets either — users simply add the designated carrier number to the end of their dialled number, on any of the six handsets.
The C470IP handset fits snugly into a minimal charging dock. Apart from basic speaker phone and room monitor capabilities, the handset ambitiously offers instant messaging, POP3 e-mail and fixed line SMS capability.
Although the presence of these features doesn't hurt the device, it doesn't really benefit it either. The problem largely lies in the handset's LCD screen, which displays only 4096 colours at a 128x128 pixel resolution. The C470IP's fixed line SMS function is similar enough to traditional mobiles to be comfortable to use. However, text-intensive functions such as e-mail and instant messaging are ultimately let down by the handset's poor screen and numeric keypad.
A base station provides the phone's connectivity. Smaller than those found in most other units, the C470IP's base station is adorned by a single back-lit button that lets you page the handset. Cable management is provided on the back of the base, but only for the power adaptor and PSTN RJ-12 line. The Ethernet port, on the other hand, is on the side of the station, making for a rather unsightly look.
A single VoIP carrier can be configured using the handset, while the device's embedded Web server provides access to large array of other options. Unlike the convoluted Web interface of Linksys' IP Phone SPA962, the C470IP's interface is simple, well laid out, and extremely easy to use. Users can access and configure VoIP carriers, POP3 mail accounts and administer handsets. Instant messaging is also configurable, but the setup process for this is rather convoluted. Users must first configure their preferred instant messaging settings from a PC using the Jabber protocol, which provides interoperability with other IM services.
Call clarity is where the C470IP shines most. Using the same Freshtel account we tested with the Linksys IP Phone SPA962, the results were quite surprising. The SPA962's handset produced a tinny and cold voice — something we attributed to the VoIP connection — but the C470IP produced a voice with a warm timbre that made for a pleasant conversation. The respondent claimed the same result, saying our voice was indistinguishable from a traditional landline.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Linksys signs on as PAX AUS partner
- NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem Keeps You Online
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Superannuation/WealthOther
- FTProject Manager - PLMOther
- FTBig Data EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics/TransportOther
- CCSenior Workbrain Functional Expert - Brisbane BasedVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork Administrator / Junior Network OperatorOther
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC
- FTField Engineers - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTPerformance Tester - Load RunnerACT
- FTL1/L2 Helpdesk Technician - FIFOWA
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- FTSenior UX Service DesignerACT
- FTIntegration Specialist - TIBCOOther
- CCSupport Specialist MQ and ESB AdministrationNSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CCSCRUM MasterVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther