Siber Systems GoodSync Pro
Easy file syncing
- Works in a mixed-platform environment, easy to use
- Lack of documentation, contextual tool tips lacking for some controls
GoodSync is, well, good. If you want a simple and effective synchronisation program, you need look no further than the program — now at iteration 7.2.8.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
NOTE: The listed price for this product is in US dollars.
GoodSync from Siber Systems is one of the nicest-looking and easiest-to-use file- and folder-synchronisation programs we've seen.
Installation is a breeze; setting up and defining synchronisation jobs is almost as simple. For each job, you just browse to the requisite two folders, ask GoodSync to analyse the contents of each to make sure there are no incompatibilities, and — assuming all is well — give the green light and watch your folders sync.
If you are new to sync programs, the lack of documentation may initially seem daunting, but Siber helpfully provides detailed, pictorial walk-throughs on its Web site. That said, contextual tool tips would get you up to speed quicker, and are noticeably absent for some controls.
GoodSync Pro's tabbed interface is thoughtfully and logically laid out — you have a separate tab for each job. And the program has all the features you'd expect: bidirectional and unidirectional syncing, backup, file filtering, syncing of deletions and job scheduling.
Automatic scheduling of synchronisation is a cinch, and will add real value if you wish to use GoodSync for backing up. Being able to sync without thinking is a sure-fire way of avoiding a half-hearted backup regime.
GoodSync has one exceedingly useful feature you might not anticipate needing — the ability to tag a folder. This keeps you from inadvertently syncing to a like-named but different folder on a different drive if you set a job to run automatically when you insert removable media.
With Good Sync you can also synchronise files and folders across a network, but not to CD or DVD media. You can sync over FTP, too. And because it works freely over a network, you can use it in a mixed-platform environment — a file edit made on a Mac will still be in sync with the version the PC user sees.
Download the free trial of GoodSync and you can use it without restriction for up to 30 days, after which you're limited to only three jobs, and 100 files per job. The $US29 Pro version removes those limits. It also adds to the mix free upgrades, as well as web- and phone-based support.
One thing we really like about GoodSync: unlike with some other similar products there's no proprietary file format, which protects you against being up-sold at a later date.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst - UATQLD
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- CCCCNP Network EngineerVIC
- FTMobile Apps TesterWA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerWA
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Support EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD