- Fast single layer DVD writing
- Slow DVD DL writing, slow CD ripping
Buy it if you want blazing DVD-R and DVD+R performance, but consider another model if CD and double layer DVD performance is a requirement.
Price$ 121.00 (AUD)
The brushed silver finish of this drive looks elegant, and matches the colour schemes and styling of a lot of the small form factor enclosures in Shuttle's range. It is interesting too that Shuttle has chosen to build this drive with a 19cm depth. Short-depth drives, which can be less than 17cm, are desirable not only for small form-factor PCs, but for mid-tower cases, as they allow plenty of room at the rear of the drive for cable management.
The CR40 is one of only a few drives capable of burning 8X DVD-R discs at 12X, and this allowed it to produce very fast burn times in our test. It burnt a full DVD-R disc in 6 minutes and 2 seconds.
Its DVD+R performance was equally impressive at 16X, with our 16X DVD+R disc burning in only 5 minutes and 29 seconds. Its double layer write performance was sluggish though, especially considering it is a 4X burner. It took 37 minutes and 41 seconds to complete a DVD+R DL burn time.
The drive uses the CAV method to write and read at its highest speeds, while burn control algorithms are used to asses the amount of power the write function needs at each section of the burn. This algorithm is said to improve the reliability of the burns, especially as the laser reaches the outer edges of a disc. In our read tests, we found all the discs created by this burner were readable in older drives, and no anomalies or read errors were experienced.
Its CD read performance was very disappointing. This poor read performance was reflected in the time it took to rip a 78-minute CD: a sleep-inducing 10 minutes and 2 seconds.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPSenior Analyst|Progress ProgrammerQLD
- FTSystems and Database AdministratorACT
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- FTOffice 365 SMEOther
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- TPProject Manager - Network, Security and Wi-FiQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager (Telecommunications)Other
- FTBilling Consultant - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- TPProject Manager & Business Analyst - eDRMS - 18+ month ContractQLD
- FTSenior Services EngineerSA
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- CCIntegration Specialist-Tibco & MulesoftNSW
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW