- Easy-to-use, handles myriad formats
- Failed to recognise some DivX media
Shinco's SDP-1720D has broad media compatibility and is easy to use, but its failure to recognise some DivX discs brings down the overall score.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Portable DVD players are just the ticket for long car trips, hotel visits or stopovers. Shinco's SDP-1720D handles regular DVD movies, CD audio, Kodak Picture CDs, or burnt discs containing MPEG 4, DivX, or MP3 files. Given the proliferation of compressed video files available on the Internet, any tech-savvy buyer is better off going for a model like the 1720D, as the ability to play back myriad video formats makes it much more useful than a straight DVD player.
We found the SDP-1720D was able to play back almost all discs we tested it with, but we experienced some problems with it failing to recognise some DivX discs.
The 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which makes it ideal for playing back widescreen movies. During testing, the device managed to run three hours between charges, and it ships with a car adapter so you don't need to pack enough batteries to cover a long road trip. The anti-shock capabilities also mean that it can take quite a shunt on the road before halting playback.
The silver SDP-1720D is a little more polished than the Shinco MDP-1770. Although the two devices have a similar layout, with a top-loading optical drive located next to buttons on the right, the SDP-1720D has a more streamlined case than the MDP-1770. Navigation and menu buttons sit on the right-hand side of the screen, with a pair of small speakers below. The sound output is tinny, but the screen is bright enough to watch movies in well-lit conditions.
The unit features a slightly recessed screen, with a power button on left-hand panel, while the right panel offers volume adjustment, dual headphone sockets (so two people can share the device at once), coaxial audio output and a power connector. There is also an AV-out socket so you can plug the unit into a TV (along with a switch to toggle between the AV and LCD outputs).
The Shinco device was easy to use, worked effectively and performed as expected, with no glitches or flaws during playback. This capable portable DVD player is backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDomain Architect - AWS / AzureOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Incident & OperationsOther
- FTRisk Specialist - 6 month contractOther
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerSA
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCAdlib DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- CCVMware EngineerNSW
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther