- Easy-to-use, handles myriad formats
- Failed to recognise some DivX media
Shinco's SDP-1720D has broad media compatibility and is easy to use, but its failure to recognise some DivX discs brings down the overall score.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Portable DVD players are just the ticket for long car trips, hotel visits or stopovers. Shinco's SDP-1720D handles regular DVD movies, CD audio, Kodak Picture CDs, or burnt discs containing MPEG 4, DivX, or MP3 files. Given the proliferation of compressed video files available on the Internet, any tech-savvy buyer is better off going for a model like the 1720D, as the ability to play back myriad video formats makes it much more useful than a straight DVD player.
We found the SDP-1720D was able to play back almost all discs we tested it with, but we experienced some problems with it failing to recognise some DivX discs.
The 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which makes it ideal for playing back widescreen movies. During testing, the device managed to run three hours between charges, and it ships with a car adapter so you don't need to pack enough batteries to cover a long road trip. The anti-shock capabilities also mean that it can take quite a shunt on the road before halting playback.
The silver SDP-1720D is a little more polished than the Shinco MDP-1770. Although the two devices have a similar layout, with a top-loading optical drive located next to buttons on the right, the SDP-1720D has a more streamlined case than the MDP-1770. Navigation and menu buttons sit on the right-hand side of the screen, with a pair of small speakers below. The sound output is tinny, but the screen is bright enough to watch movies in well-lit conditions.
The unit features a slightly recessed screen, with a power button on left-hand panel, while the right panel offers volume adjustment, dual headphone sockets (so two people can share the device at once), coaxial audio output and a power connector. There is also an AV-out socket so you can plug the unit into a TV (along with a switch to toggle between the AV and LCD outputs).
The Shinco device was easy to use, worked effectively and performed as expected, with no glitches or flaws during playback. This capable portable DVD player is backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- FTService Design Analyst (Service Management Specialist- ITIL)Other
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - ERP SystemsNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTHelpdesk Support Officer (Lv1/Lv2)SA
- CCXamarin Mobile DeveloperVIC
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- FTIT Security SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTIT Sales ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Asset Information OfficerOther
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- FTTelco Core Network Support EngineerOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTTest Specialist - Automation ToolsQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTFront End UI Web DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Enterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTFinance AnalystOther
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther