Shazam (iPhone app)
This free iPhone app identifies songs that you play to it and then tells you what they are
- Let's you find out what that song is called, free
- Doesn't cope with live music well, may cause your iTunes bill to soar.
It's free. You will want to use it at least once a week. Get it now.
If you have ever wondered about the name of a song on radio, or wanted to know the name of the band whose song is playing in a store then Shazam is for you. This free iPhone app records a snippet of a song then identifies it.
To get started, you simply need to click the "Tag Now" button on the top-right of the screen. Shazam will then record a 10-second sample of a song using the iPhone's microphone. The app encodes the sample and sends it to the Shazam servers. If the song is recognised, you will get a results screen with a picture of the album cover and the name of the artist, the song and the album.
You can't identify all songs. Shazam will normally only recognise songs that have been released on an album or as a single. Live music won't be recognised and neither will whistling or humming. If there is too much noise around you, the app may also have difficulty. You will usually have enough time to get a second sample and have another attempt at identifying the music.
Shazam keeps a record of the songs you have tagged, and has a small wizard which lets you sort in different orders, such as by tagging date or by artist name.
Once you have tagged a song, you are also able to send an e-mail with the song details preloaded by simply clicking on the "Share tag" button. We can't recommend this as a pickup tool when a cute girl asks for the name of a song that's playing at a party — but at least you'll get her e-mail address.
If you want to hear the song once you've tagged it, you will usually have a few options. Shazam will give you a list of links to the song on YouTube and a link to the song on iTunes, so you can hear the preview or purchase it right then.
If you tagged a song because the singer's voice sounded familiar but you don't recognise the band's name, you can click on the artist biography button. This shows you a biography from All Music Guide. For some albums you will also be able to read a review.
In areas without mobile reception or Wi-Fi access, Shazam can store a sample and look up the song later.
There are a few things that could be improved. Some of the Aussie music on Triple-J is often not recognised despite being available for purchase from iTunes. It would also be great to be able to use this app to identify songs that play while you use other apps (the YouTube app, for example). This is probably a failing of the iPhone architecture rather than Shazam itself, however.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Acer Predator Triton 300 SE review: Affordable GeForce RTX performance in a slim package
- 2 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 3 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Software can overclock your Ryzen CPU now, too
- Unpatched Office attack reminds us: Don't click every doc you're sent
- Windows 11's dark mode has its own dark sounds
- Microsoft adds another Start to Windows
- Microsoft unveils space program for Aussie start-ups
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Razer just made gamer thimbles
- How to download proof of Covid-19 vaccination to your smartphone in Australia
- HTC Vive Pro 2 Full Kit is now available for pre-order in Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies