Shazam (iPhone app)
This free iPhone app identifies songs that you play to it and then tells you what they are
- Let's you find out what that song is called, free
- Doesn't cope with live music well, may cause your iTunes bill to soar.
It's free. You will want to use it at least once a week. Get it now.
If you have ever wondered about the name of a song on radio, or wanted to know the name of the band whose song is playing in a store then Shazam is for you. This free iPhone app records a snippet of a song then identifies it.
To get started, you simply need to click the "Tag Now" button on the top-right of the screen. Shazam will then record a 10-second sample of a song using the iPhone's microphone. The app encodes the sample and sends it to the Shazam servers. If the song is recognised, you will get a results screen with a picture of the album cover and the name of the artist, the song and the album.
You can't identify all songs. Shazam will normally only recognise songs that have been released on an album or as a single. Live music won't be recognised and neither will whistling or humming. If there is too much noise around you, the app may also have difficulty. You will usually have enough time to get a second sample and have another attempt at identifying the music.
Shazam keeps a record of the songs you have tagged, and has a small wizard which lets you sort in different orders, such as by tagging date or by artist name.
Once you have tagged a song, you are also able to send an e-mail with the song details preloaded by simply clicking on the "Share tag" button. We can't recommend this as a pickup tool when a cute girl asks for the name of a song that's playing at a party — but at least you'll get her e-mail address.
If you want to hear the song once you've tagged it, you will usually have a few options. Shazam will give you a list of links to the song on YouTube and a link to the song on iTunes, so you can hear the preview or purchase it right then.
If you tagged a song because the singer's voice sounded familiar but you don't recognise the band's name, you can click on the artist biography button. This shows you a biography from All Music Guide. For some albums you will also be able to read a review.
In areas without mobile reception or Wi-Fi access, Shazam can store a sample and look up the song later.
There are a few things that could be improved. Some of the Aussie music on Triple-J is often not recognised despite being available for purchase from iTunes. It would also be great to be able to use this app to identify songs that play while you use other apps (the YouTube app, for example). This is probably a failing of the iPhone architecture rather than Shazam itself, however.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- FTDrupal DeveloperACT
- FTSystem AnalystVIC
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW
- FT0365 Consultant - Large Scale O365 ImplementationVIC
- FTPayments Solution DesignerNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- CCJava Developers (EOI)QLD
- TPLead Solutions Architect - SAP SuccessFactorsQLD
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTProject Manager - Rail Industry or Survey or Construction bkgrdOther
- TPApplication Support AdministratorVIC
- FTIT Graduate / Junior Project AdministratorOther
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - (Urgent)Other
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTProject Manager - Office Re-locations APACOther