Sharpcast SugarSync File Syncing
- Supports both PCs and Macs, simple to set up and use
- No support for file revision history
It's not a free storage service, but the free trial means you can test it out and see if it's what you need.
Price$ 24.99 (AUD)
If you use multiple computers and mobile devices for creating and editing documents, it can be tough to keep different versions of your files in sync. A new service called SugarSync goes a long way toward curing those syncing headaches.
SugarSync is both a Web-based service and an application that you download; together, they provide a way for you to always have the most current version of a file, regardless of what computer you're using. You configure the downloadable application, called SugarSync Manager, to monitor certain folders on your PC. Files in those folders are then uploaded to your personal SugarSync Web page, which acts as an online storage repository, allowing you to access them from any Web browser.
SugarSync excels when you begin making changes to your documents. Any time you make a change to a file, the changes are automatically saved to the original version of the document on the computer on which it was created. Say, for example, you create a meeting agenda on your office PC. You later edit the document on your laptop at home and save it. SugarSync automatically saves those updates to your Web-based storage space, and also sends them to the original document on your office PC.
Unfortunately, SugarSync lacks a revision history of the synchronised files: Once you edit and save a file, only the newest copy is preserved.
Every device on which you install SugarSync also gets its own "Magic Briefcase" folder. Place a file in this folder, and the file appears in the Magic Briefcase on all your other devices running SugarSync.
Unlike many online storage services, SugarSync isn't free: Five plans are available, ranging from $25 per year for 10GB of storage to $250 for 250GB. (A 45-day free trial also is available.) It works on both Windows PCs and Macs, as well as on mobile phones with Web access.
(A nifty feature for camera phone users allows them to have any pictures taken with their phones sent directly to their PC.)
SugarSync provides a cost-effective and easy-to-use solution to manage files on several devices. Clearly, we've come a long way from the original Windows Briefcase and floppy disks for file synchronisation.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- TPKnowledge AnalystVIC
- FTDigital Transformation Architect - TelcoVIC
- TPIT Change Manager Windows UpgradeVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- TPDeployment Analyst - Office 2016 rolloutVIC
- FTLean Six Sigma Process AnalystOther
- FTDevOps Support EngineerOther
- FTLean Agile CoachOther
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTService Desk Technical LeadOther
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystSA
- FTProject Coordinator - SAED/TelcoNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- TPSenior DBAVIC
- FTPermanent Project ManagersACT
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther