Sharp Helmet Ion Generator (IGCH2JW)
This device uses 'plasmacluster ions' to keep your helmet free from odours and allergens
- Easy to use
- Gives your helmet a nice clean feeling
- Has to sit on the generator for an extended period of time
- New car smell isn’t friendly
Sharp's Helmet Ion Generator does a good job of cleaning your motorbike, skiing or horse-riding helmet. It has a fresh, clean result, although the 'new car' smell isn't always pleasant.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Any motorcycle rider knows that there can be a funky stink that hovers around you on rides. This isn’t caused by riding in the tailwind of garbage trucks, but from sitting in traffic on hot summer days and sweating into your helmet.
Unless you’re fastidious about cleanliness and take the helmet lining out and regularly wash it, chances are you just put up with the smell. Or get used to it.
Sharp has come up with another solution — its Ion Generator with Plasmacluster.
The technical specs for the generator are as complex as you’d expect. The product has been designed to clear out bacteria and mold from inside motorbike and scooter helmets, without wetting the lining. It can be used on full-faced, open-faced and half-type helmets, depending on the level of skin grafting you’d like with your helmet in case of an accident.
Sharp says the ion feature of the product works by harnessing positive and negative ions with air purification technology, to decompose and remove bacteria.
Despite the complicated science behind the product, it is easy to use — you plug the connector into the unit and then into a power point. You place the helmet on the top of the generator just above the filter and then switch it on and leave it running.
Sharp recommends you leave the helmet on the unit for at least eight hours. The company also wisely recommends you don’t ride the generator.
We left it on the unit for 6 and a half hours. Our helmet was relatively new and not heavily used over the summer months, so a smell test for whether the generator worked was hard to judge. We wore our helmet about 20 minutes after taking it off the generator and could feel a difference — it felt clean and crisp.
However, there was faint new car smell inside the helmet after using the ion generator. We started to get a headache from the new car smell after about 15 minutes of riding. To avoid this, we’d recommend you leave the helmet to rest overnight after using the ion generator.
The product has an easy-to-clean filter which can be easily popped out from the bottom of the unit. We inspected the filter after we ran the generator and there didn’t seem to be any dust trapped in it, but Sharp recommends the filter be cleaned every six months. There is also a cleaning brush provided which can be accessed at the back of the unit.
The idea of an ion generator is a good one. It takes the hassle out of cleaning your helmet, it’s an easy product to use, and it seemed to do the job well. However, the helmet needs to sit on the generator for a long time and it has a headache-inducing smell afterwards. We’re also not sure how big the market would be for this kind of product.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- WalabotDIY, the 3D Imaging Tool That Gives Consumers ‘Superman-Vision’, Launches Today in Australia
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Australian startup launches Tiller Kickstarter campaign
- Anki Arrives In Oz
- Griffin's PowerMate is the Surface Dial dead-ringer that's trapped in Mac land
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- CCPNI ConsultantVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSAP BW ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Portfolio Analyst. 12 month contract.NSW
- FTInformation Security ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Information Security Officer (BISO)NSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCDevOps Automation SME - Telco ClientVIC
- FTQA Lead / TesterNSW
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerWA
- FTAnalysis, Design & Configuration ManagerOther
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC