Serif WebPlus X2
- An easy to use drag-and-drop page design, RSS tool
- Some of the special effects aren't that great; lacks direct code editing
A lack of direct code editing features makes Serif WebPlus X2 unsuitable for professional site design – but there's enough here to keep most other users more than happy. Packed with features, brimming with extra resources and integrated with Serif's own Web services, it's a comprehensive and cost-effective choice.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Serif WebPlus X2 is a feature-packed Web site-authoring tool that won't break your budget – but does it come up to scratch?
Serif has a long history of creative software development, building inclusive tools at budget prices. Serif WebPlus X2 is no exception, packed with extra resources, easy to use wizards and comprehensive documentation.
The generous templates and clipart are a Serif trait, but we were surprised at how functional the Serif WebPlus X2 Web-authoring package actually is. Serif WebPlus X2 is aimed at casual users, providing a drag-and-drop page design environment that doesn't require any coding experience whatsoever. In fact, Serif WebPlus X2 feels more like a desktop-publishing package than a Web-authoring application. There's no code produced until your site's published – and from our tests the results are clean and readable should you wish to make any manual edits.
There's enough in Serif WebPlus X2 to keep more demanding users happy too – like RSS tools that enable you to insert blog headlines and news feeds. Dynamic forms can be created with a couple of clicks and there are site-management tools too. These include full publishing features, traffic reports and improved search engine optimisation to make sure your pages appear within Google's search results.
For upgraders from previous versions of Serif WebPlus there are several new functions making their debuts. Extended media features includes YouTube clip, podcast and Flash-animated gallery support. All are menu driven, requiring nothing more complicated than typing in a link or two.
There are even dynamic data features, with database and forum connectivity, that use Serif-provided Web services. These are insertable as "Smart Objects" directly into your Serif WebPlus X2 pages.
Like many template driven, drag-and-drop design tools, the quality of your site is dependent in part on the quality of the resources provided. The Serif WebPlus X2 package boasts 30 "professionally produced" templates which, although varied in quality, are better than those that many similar tools provide. Some of the special effects, borders and clipart are all a bit "MySpace" for adult tastes, however.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTMarketing Operations ManagerNSW
- FTIT Service Delivery Manager - Workplace Technology (O365 & SP)Other
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTMultiple Infrastructure Engineer rolesACT
- FTDigital Content Manager | AEM , HTML and CSSOther
- CCJava Developer - Government organisationVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- CCAdlib DeveloperVIC
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- CCLevel 1 Service deskNSW
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerWA
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther