- Great clarity, crisp sound, nice mid and treble ranges, great noise cancelling
- Bass is a little weak, expensive
Offering the best noise cancelling out of any pair of headphones we've heard, Sennheiser's PXC450 offer a great choice for frequent travellers; just make sure you can charge the hefty cost back to your company.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
With $799 you can buy a lot of things. It can get you 2663 soft serve MacDonald's ice cream cones for example, or 53 movie tickets. It also happens to be the price tag for Sennheiser's latest and greatest pair of noise-cancelling headphones, the PXC450. While the cost is exorbitant to say the least and may be out of reach for many people, users who travel frequently will appreciate the powerful noise-cancelling technology and impressive sound quality, which make these headphones an attractive purchase.
So what does the cost of several return domestic airfares get you exactly? To put it simply, the PXC450 offers the best noise cancelling we've heard. While we weren't given an opportunity to test them on a plane, they did a magnificent job of eliminating the ever-present hum of our office air conditioner and made us completely oblivious to the niggling sounds of office life. On public transport they admirably managed to block out both bus and train noise, which is a difficult ask.
The noise cancelling can be switched on and off, which is a nice alternative to save battery life, and one that some competitors have yet to adopt. Doing this does flatten out the audio a little, which users will not like but it is nice to have the option. Another nifty feature of these headphones is their TalkThrough function, which activates a microphone and dims your music, allowing you to have a conversation instantly, without taking them on and off; very cool. The unit takes two AAA batteries and is quoted at lasting up to 16 hours, although we experienced around 10 hours.
As you'd expect being a Sennheiser product, the sound quality is impressive. While not up to the audiophile standard of the company's reference headphones like the HD650, the PXC450 provides a clear, well balanced sound that will please all but the most discerning of listeners.
The separation of the different musical elements is excellent, with a wide soundstage and great presentation. At times we found some of the drum beats and particularly cymbals were a little too disconnected from the rest of our tunes, but this wasn't particularly troublesome.
We found the mid-range to be energetic and fun with nice detail and an extremely crisp sound. This was particularly evident in some of our soft rock tunes, where the twang of steel guitar strings rang out very sharply. Meanwhile the treble range was sweet and rich although it could have been a little tighter.
Bass was the one area the PXC450 could perhaps use some improvement. It was a little weak for our tastes and this is noticeable in a lot of styles of music like dance, which benefit from a little more punch. That said, the bass is very tight and well controlled and is of good quality.
As a full circumaural pair of headphones the PXC450 is quite comfortable. They sit nicely over your ears and provide reasonable isolation even with the noise cancelling turned off. Our ears didn't get sore at all even after long listening sessions, although we must admit they are pretty chunky and as such if you're the Prada bag carrying sort they may not exactly set off your outfit.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
- Jabra Evolve 75e brings earbud design, Active NC and ‘busylight’ to the workplace
- Jaybird go true wireless with new RUN earbuds
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Jabra upgrade their Elite Sport wireless earbuds
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTService Request ManagerSA
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Testing/Technical WritingOther
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTUser Experience (UX) SpecialistACT
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC