Sennheiser PC163D G4ME headset
Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME review: This headset from Sennheiser has a USB dongle that delivers virtual 7.1 Dolby surround sound
- Comfortable, good sound quality, Dolby Headphone USB dongle adds a nice soundstage to gaming audio
- Open design leaks a fair amount of sound, the surround effect is poor for music
Sennheiser's PC163D G4ME headset is not for music listeners -- the surround sound effect of the Dolby Headphone USB dongle altered our music in a way we didn't like, and with the setting turned off we still found the audio a little dull. For gaming, though, it's an excellent choice -- it's a relatively lightweight headset that responds well to the booming bass and loud sound effects of PC gaming audio, and the microphone is of decent quality.
Price$ 259.95 (AUD)
Sennheiser's PC 163D G4ME headset is a solid product for a gamer looking to embrace 3D positional audio — the bundled Dolby Headphone USB dongle simulates 7.1-surround sound. We preferred playing fast-paced PC games with the software boost enabled, but it did strange things to our test music. The headphones are comfortable, have good audio quality overall and are comfortable, although they leak sound at high volumes.
Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME: Design and construction
The Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME headset is an on-the-ear design, with the ear-cups resting against your ear rather than your head. This means it's smaller and lighter than a headset like the Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, but it's also marginally less comfortable. The headset is sturdily built, but our one concern is with the small range of movement offered by the headset's earpieces — they don't swivel and only have a small range of motion away from the headband. The band itself is flexible and easily adjustable for larger or smaller heads.
Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME: Sound quality
Like the Sennheiser PC 161 headphones that have been our long-time beater PC headset around the office, the Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME has good sound quality that's well suited to the punchy audio of PC games and blockbuster movies. It's not as clear or as deeply bassy as the Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME headset we tested at the same time, but it's also half the price. We'd say that bass is overall the strongest aspect of these headphones — explosions are well represented — but this has the effect of drowning out a little of the clarity of mid-range and treble.
Because of the on-the-ear design the Sennheiser PC 163D headset has an open ear-cup and leaks audio. It won't be a problem at moderate listening volumes, but if you're blasting out some PC games at full volume your boss or co-workers might not be impressed.
The swing-down boom microphone of the Sennheiser PC 163D is good — our test recordings were entirely audible and no clipping occurred — but in comparison to the Sennheiser PC 360D it's slightly muffled, with less overall clarity. It'll do a perfectly acceptable job for team chat and video calls, but we wouldn't use it to record a podcast.
Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME: Dolby Headphone 7.1 sound
As well as its microphone/headphone jacks, the Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME comes with a USB sound card supporting Dolby Headphone and 7.1 virtual surround sound. The virtual sound setting can be enabled and disabled easily via software — it basically mixes stereo audio to a virtual surround sound mapping, downmixes it to stereo again and outputs it to the headphones. The Dolby Headphone mix adds a small amount of extra separation between audio channels — it's easier to hear what's behind you, what's to your left and to your right. It's an audio processing trick that purists will find tiresome — and it doesn't have a pleasant effect on music — but gamers will appreciate the increased in-game awareness it fosters.
Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME: Conclusion
The Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME headset is a competent headset for gamers, and the inclusion of the Dolby Headphone-enabled USB sound card makes positional audio in games a little more realistic. We wouldn't pick them for music listening, but otherwise the Sennheiser PC 163D G4ME is a decent choice for PC use.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileNSW
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTChange Lead, SalesforceOther
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTPayments Solution DesignerNSW
- CCProject AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer - MULTIPLE ROLESQLD
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTOffice Manager | Start-up | Global Cloud ProviderVIC
- FTJunior Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- FTITIL Service ManagementSA
- FTTechnical Product ArchitectQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- CCF5 Operational Support EngineerWA
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTEcommerce Technical ManagerNSW