Sennheiser OMX 181 headphones
These fashionable Sennheiser ear-plugs not only look great, but offer good sound to boot
- Rich and detailed sound, attractive design
- Takes some effort to insert into ear, not enough accessories
The Sennheiser OMX 181 earphones have a slick design and don't disappoint when it comes to sound and build quality. The in-line volume control on the tangle-free cord is a plus.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Sennheiser's OMX 181 earphones have a trendy two-tone colour scheme and sleek, modern styling. The over-the-ear hooks may feel a little uncomfortable at first but offer good long-term comfort and adjustability. Overall this is a comfortable pair of earphones with good sound quality.
At first glance, each of the Sennheiser OMX 181's earphones may look like a a Bluetooth earpiece with a striking red and gold housing.
Sennheiser boasts that no two designs are the same, and you can see that there has been thought and care put into this model. The bendy CustomFlex ear-hook system is nice to have but ultimately unnecessary — we found that the ear-buds were light enough to rest in the ear comfortably. Putting the cushioning pads on each bud is a hassle, but you should only have to do this once.
The 1.2 metre symmetrical braided headphone cable is well designed, and we never had any issues with tangles. This is definitely a useful feature if you listen to your iPod during your daily commute and don't want to spend time fighting to unwrap the cable.
Another welcome feature is the integrated volume control. An easy flick to boost or lower volume is convenient, and we didn't notice any distortion or channel bias when comparing low and high volume levels.
We were a little disappointed by the content of the sales package: beyond one set of earpads, there is not much else provided with the Sennheiser OMX 181. We would have liked to see a soft protective case included in the sales package even though this is a budget pair of headphones. An extra set of earpads would have been a nice inclusion too.
When buying headphones, sound quality is obviously of key importance; the OMX 181 earphones will not let you down in this area. Treble has good levels of detail and no evident distortion at high volumes. The secure fit of the earphones also works wonders for the bass, with consistently strong low-end frequency response. The Sennheiser OMX 181 easily handled the tests of both Fats Domino and Sneaky Sound System, with a sound that is accurate and musical.
We were able to block out a decent amount of outside noise: the earphones don't have the passive isolation of a pair of over-the-ear headphones, but ambient noise is significantly reduced. If you don't want to use in-ear headphones these would be a good choice for blocking out your fellow commuters.
If you need a high-quality pair of earphones then it's worth checking out Sennheiser's OMX 181. The good sound reproduction does not come at the cost of comfort, and the earphones have good isolation as well.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTLean Six Sigma - Change ConsultantOther
- FTSharePoint DevelopersOther
- FTSoftware and Middleware DevelopersACT
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ConsultantVIC
- CCAgile Project ManagerACT
- FTNetwork Engineer - CISCOACT
- FTSAP TesterVIC
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCIT Partner Relationship ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTPenetration TesterOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTICT Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTSoftware Engineer - Content Design NetworkOther
- FTICT Project ManagerQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD