Sennheiser MX 581 earphones
These Sennheiser headphones are designed for listeners with smaller ears
- Good sound quality at moderate volume levels, comfortable design that can be altered to suit small or large ears
- Distortion of bass and harsh treble at high volume levels
Available for a reasonable price, the Sennheiser MX 581 earbuds offer a boost in sound quality over the earbuds bundled with most MP3 players. However, if you push these earphones too hard you will encounter bass and treble distortion.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
The Sennheiser MX 581 earphones are sleekly designed and deliver good quality mid-range audio. However, pushing these earphones too far results in treble and bass distortion. With the right volume and right genres of music, the Sennheiser MX 581 headphones can sound great, comparing favourably to other similar priced earbuds and beating the earphones bundled with most MP3 players.
The earbuds have Sennheiser’s LiveBass system, but a heavy finger on the volume button will expose a lack of bass at higher volumes. The MX 581's bass response distorts slightly at high volume; this was only made worse by the ‘Bass Booster’ equaliser setting on our MP3 player. Songs that are heavy on bass — like hard rock ballads with strong bass lines or hip-hop tunes with deep low-end beats — will suffer.
We found the treble excellent and balanced during mid-volume play, delivering crisp, sharp sound that works for vocal-heavy and acoustic audio. Once again, pushing the volume beyond half-way on our Apple iPod Touch MP3 player exposed faults. The clarity of the treble allows for crunchy metal riffs, but at higher volumes it tends to become harsh. This also works against the bass, drowning it out at higher volumes.
When listening in quiet surroundings sound quality is not an issue, with the MX 581 headphones solidly beating the earbuds supplied with Apple's MP3 players. However, listening to music in a loud environment may wreak havoc on your ears. Turning the volume higher strains the ears because of the high-intensity treble; loud environments will leave you between your rock music and a hard place. Like most earbuds (with the exception of in-ear headphones), the Sennheiser MX 581 earphones do little to block out external sound, so the only way to drown out ambient noise is turn up the volume.
Bundled foam sleeves add to the comfort of the earbuds. The Sennheiser MX 581 earphones are designed for smaller ears but will fit larger ear canals as well using packaged rubber ear pads that slightly increase the size of the buds. A 1.2m cable is long enough to suit an MP3 player stowed in a hip pocket, and the volume control module connected to the cable is a handy addition that doesn’t weigh the earbuds down. A smooth coating on the cable supposedly cuts down on tangles, and a soft pouch is supplied for storing the earphones.
Sennheiser’s MX 581 earbuds aren’t designed for audiophiles, but for day-to-day use they fare better than the stock headphones supplied with almost all MP3 players.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTPerformance EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunitiesQLD
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst (Expression of Interest)QLD
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- FTPageUp BAOther
- FTBusiness Information Security Officer (BISO)NSW
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW