Sennheiser MX90 VC
- Sound good, Stability wings
- Nothing of note
As far as earbuds go, the MX90 VC are a great choice, offering impressivesound quality with a stylish and stable design.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The MX90 VC is another of Sennheiser's new pairs of earbuds. Sporting their innovative winged design, they hold firmly in your ears and provide audio that is well above the quality of a typical earbud. While we still recommend over the ear models for true high quality listening, the MX90 won't disappoint the average listener.
As with the MX55 which we looked at recently, the MX90s are designed with a special wing that extends from the tip of the earbud. This wing is covered with a rubber seal, and slips comfortably into one of the top grooves of your ear. Sennheiser's intent here was to lock the earbuds in place, as a typical earbud design doesn't sit firmly in your ear. The end result is a pair of headphones that are great for fast paced activities like jogging or cycling.
The design is reasonably comfortable, although it takes a little getting used to. After an hour we barely noticed the wings were there. The buds themselves are comfortable as well, with interchangeable pads of different sizes and textures, allowing you to achieve the best fit for you.
As usual, Sennheiser do not disappoint with regards to sound quality either. While we still feel an over the ear model like the Koss KSC-75 or Sennheiser's own PX 100 is a better choice if the quality of the audio is your top priority, the size, convenience and price of earbuds often make them an attractive option.
The MX90s provide good, balanced sound. We didn't find any one element overpowering, although bass was a little lacking; a common failing of most earbuds. It didn't have the power or extension we are used to.
The mid-range was quite well represented, with strong detail and separation and a fairly lively presentation. Sennheiser models are known for their laidback presentation so this was a bit of a surprise, but a welcome one. There was a lovely clarity to complex instrumental music like jazz or classical which you were rarely hear in other models in this price range.
Our only other complaint was with the highs, which verged on being a little tinny at times. This was probably at least partially due to the low levels of bass making the other elements more prominent.
Overall we were impressed with the sound quality of the MX90s. They were on par with other Sennheiser earbuds, such as the MX55, and they give most regular over the ear models a big run for their money. The lack of bass makes them a little less suited to styles like hip hop or dance, but even these types of music sound quite good.
Aside from the winged design, the other thing Sennheiser is implementing on their new earbuds is interchangeable face plates. Like mobile phones and most other electronics, they are becoming a fashion item, and so Sennheiser are allowing you to customise your earbuds with multiple cases. To be honest we don't really see the point, as they're tiny and will mostly be hidden from view anyway, but it is a nice touch and they do look pretty stylish.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- FTProject Manager-Rail/ Telecommunication /Electrical engineeringOther
- FTProject Coordinator - DigitalOther
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTSAP TesterVIC
- CCTechnical Product ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTUser Experience Researcher - UX, UI, UCDOther
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistACT
- FTRelocate to Perth for Technology OpportunitiesQLD
- CCIT Helpdesk Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCMigration Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst TechnicalQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTResource AnalystOther
- FTDevOps LeadNSW
- FTDigital ProducerOther
- FTManager - Program Management Office (PMO)Other
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise Transformation ArchitectOther
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsOther