Young Thor should be money well spent if you need a cheap game to satisfy a young gamer for a day or two
- Simple controls, lots of collectible items and achievements
- Sloppy combat system, static environments, difficulty seems to spike randomly due to unbalanced enemy types and chokepoints
This bite-sized peek at the formative years of the God of Thunder is a simple, charming distraction that's unfortunately overburdened by sloppy combat and unbalanced difficulty.
Frima Studio's development experience has revolved around a lot of kid-friendly titles (think Nickelodeon), and Young Thor definitely feels like one. Colourful art, a pint-sized kid version of a powerful god, and loads of easily dispatched minions are all the standard ingredients that go into this "PSP Mini," and the result is more of less what could be expected - a decent side scrolling beat ‘em action game that will likely appeal to your 8-year-old nephew, but probably no one else.
Although it's one of the cheaper DLC releases in recent memory, Young Thor actually does a lot to goad you into spending more time with the game than one might initially expect due to the inclusion of in-game achievements and a healthy amount of collectible artifacts that can boost Young Thor's godly powers. However, this involves re-treading though one of four already-beaten levels in order to find items in out-of-the-way places, with the difficulty ramped up slightly each time.
Since enemies largely aren’t much of a threat, even when Young Thor is low-levelled with few abilities, repetition sets in fairly quickly. Also, the game’s enemies aren’t very well balanced, which creates difficulty spikes that come up out of nowhere. In some areas, you’ll go from beating down rows of minions that bleed health items to getting flayed alive by one or two enemies that take advantage of the game’s claustrophobic camera angles and narrow spaces. At this point, you’ll have to grind through the same levels in order to level up Young Thor just to get through the chokepoint, although the action doesn’t get varied enough to remain enjoyable after too long.
Still, given how cheap it is, this really isn’t a bad game. Young Thor may be decidedly average, but considering the likely target audience, it should be money well spent if you need a cheap game to satisfy a young gamer for a day or two.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Absolver celebrates 250K sales with new masks
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Fullbright Founders To Headline Melbourne International Games Week 2017
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Master Data Officer- SAP , VLookup, Pivot, FinanceOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTProcess Specialist (Continuous Improvement)Other
- FTUnix/AIX AdministratorOther
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointQLD
- TPSenior .Net Developer - 6 months contractQLD
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- FTOffice 365 SMEOther
- FTApplication Security Specialist - penetration testing requiredOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCeLearning DeveloperACT
- TPBusiness Process Flow AnalystNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther