Sega Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic is back
- Races full of alternate routes; fun Gravity Control mechanic; catchy menu music
- Control could be tighter, especially with the Wiimote; no online multiplayer, no mix' n match controller options
If you can suffer the controls or have GameCube pads lying around, it's not a bad kickback 'n' relax option for some speedy cartoon laps.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity doesn't gain anything by being on the Wii. In fact, it's best if you play it the way you played its predecessor, Sonic Riders, for GameCube — with a GameCube controller. If you have a couple of those purple peripherals hanging around, it's possible to have a fair amount of fun zooming around with Sonic and his pals. But thanks to some wonky controls, playing with the Wii Remotes does cut into the enjoyment.
The story is also rather minimal so don't worry much about the the whys and wherefores; I should note, however, that the cut scene animations are vibrant, pleasant, and smooth. The racing itself plays out similarly to Sonic Riders, while adding in some new twists. Gravity points are awarded for getting a good running start (which entails crossing the line as the exact moment an electric barrier is removed) and pulling off tricks. Once accumulated, you can use them to turn on Gravity Control which is basically drifting with a little bullet-time slo-mo thrown in for fun. There is also a boost move that somehow makes running into things a strategy for going faster.
The tracks themselves can be exciting, especially once you get a handle on exploiting the potential of your vehicles. Vehicles come with three Gear Parts that you can unlock during a race by collecting rings. At first, it seemed like it might be a hassle to upgrade while navigating, but you don't have to think about what you're upgrading since it only requires a single button press. Finding the best route through each course lends replayablility, and so does playing with friends or racing ghosts downloaded off the World Rankings. Unfortunately, downloading ghosts of the leading times is the closest you'll get to online multiplayer, but local options are available for both races and rather pointless Survival Mode sporting events.
Though the tracks and gravity gimmicks are fun to experiment with, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity isn't likely to be something you'll come back to as a competitive racing staple.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: Nikon D850
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- FTCloud Project ManagerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- CCDatabase Administrator - Government OrganisationVIC
- TPSenior Desktop AdministratorNSW
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- FTFTTx Network Area PlannerOther
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers SydneyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ISO9001ACT
- FTProject Support Officer (Part Time)SA
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTMS Dynamics SpecialistACT
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- FTTechnical Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTSenior JAVA Developer - (Adobe Experience Manager)Other
- FTData ModellerOther