Need to buy a gift for somebody who loves technology but you can’t afford the big ticket items?
Sega Sonic and the Secret Rings
A good Sonic game?!
- Soul Gauge, customisation
A Sonic game that's actually good? Can it be true?
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Forget about the huge missteps of the "next-gen" Sonic title for PS3 and Xbox 360: Secret Rings for the Wii is a good indication that the iconic hedgehog might be headed back to his former glory.
The story of Secret Rings places Sonic in the middle of the Arabian Nights. It's not terribly original but the development team did a good job of integrating the storyline into the gameplay and vice versa; several familiar faces, such as Tails and Knuckles, appear in the game in full Arabian Nights themed identities.
For the most part, Sonic makes the leap onto the Wii without much fuss. Tilting the Wii Remote to the left and right moves Sonic in that respective direction; the '1' and '2' buttons control stopping and jumping. Like with everything else about this game, it takes some getting used to, but after a few minutes of using the Wii Remote like a Sonic steering wheel, it quickly becomes second nature and feels more natural than simple button mashing.
Secret Rings also allows you to customise Sonic through the use of a special ring that lets you put focus into three key areas: speed, assault or defence. You can mix and match to create a Sonic that's right for you. Then there's the Soul Gauge, which allows Sonic to control time. By filling the Soul Gauge and pressing up, you can take Sonic to speeds that will make your head spin and it's one of the coolest looking effects in the game. Pressing down with a full Soul Gauge makes time slow down to a snails pace, allowing Sonic to manoeuvre through obstacles moving too fast, even for him.
One word of warning though: the game is tough, and not in a good way. You better tighten up that Wii Remote strap because you will feel the urge to throw the controller through the television, especially early in the game, before Sonic gets a lot of his abilities.
But once you get Sonic up to speed, the game is fun, but still really challenging. It will test your patience faster than a misbehaving toddler, but once you get used to the controls, the customisation and the challenges, you'll be glad you gave this game a chance.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Watch review: Brilliant but not quite a breakthrough
- 2 HP Omen 15 (2018): Full, in-depth review
- 3 HP Envy x360 13 (Ryzen): Full, in-depth review
- 4 Moto G6 review: A solid mid-tier effort with few compromises
- 5 Dell G5 review: Easy to live with
Latest News Articles
- Inaugural Australian Games Awards to be held on December 19
- Australia's best League of Legends players assemble for the 2018 League of Origin
- Gfinity launches Elite Series Season 2
- Turtle Beach becomes official Blast Pro Series Copenhagen partner
- World of Warships introduces submarines in new operation
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s useful for office tasks as well as pragmatic labelling of equipment and storage – just don’t get too excited and label everything in sight!
The Brother MFC-L8900CDW is an absolute stand out. I struggle to fault it.
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
- Google Pixel 3 XL review: Ghost in the machine
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Apple iPhone XS review: Astonishment at a price
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies