Sega Sonic and the Secret Rings
A good Sonic game?!
- Soul Gauge, customisation
A Sonic game that's actually good? Can it be true?
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Forget about the huge missteps of the "next-gen" Sonic title for PS3 and Xbox 360: Secret Rings for the Wii is a good indication that the iconic hedgehog might be headed back to his former glory.
The story of Secret Rings places Sonic in the middle of the Arabian Nights. It's not terribly original but the development team did a good job of integrating the storyline into the gameplay and vice versa; several familiar faces, such as Tails and Knuckles, appear in the game in full Arabian Nights themed identities.
For the most part, Sonic makes the leap onto the Wii without much fuss. Tilting the Wii Remote to the left and right moves Sonic in that respective direction; the '1' and '2' buttons control stopping and jumping. Like with everything else about this game, it takes some getting used to, but after a few minutes of using the Wii Remote like a Sonic steering wheel, it quickly becomes second nature and feels more natural than simple button mashing.
Secret Rings also allows you to customise Sonic through the use of a special ring that lets you put focus into three key areas: speed, assault or defence. You can mix and match to create a Sonic that's right for you. Then there's the Soul Gauge, which allows Sonic to control time. By filling the Soul Gauge and pressing up, you can take Sonic to speeds that will make your head spin and it's one of the coolest looking effects in the game. Pressing down with a full Soul Gauge makes time slow down to a snails pace, allowing Sonic to manoeuvre through obstacles moving too fast, even for him.
One word of warning though: the game is tough, and not in a good way. You better tighten up that Wii Remote strap because you will feel the urge to throw the controller through the television, especially early in the game, before Sonic gets a lot of his abilities.
But once you get Sonic up to speed, the game is fun, but still really challenging. It will test your patience faster than a misbehaving toddler, but once you get used to the controls, the customisation and the challenges, you'll be glad you gave this game a chance.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Absolver celebrates 250K sales with new masks
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Fullbright Founders To Headline Melbourne International Games Week 2017
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTApplication Security Specialist - penetration testing requiredOther
- CCCerner Senior Applications Specialist - Brisbane basedVIC
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTios DeveloperACT
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- CCProgram Evaluation ManagerNSW
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Business Project Manager, MediaOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTSenior DeveloperWA
- FTCRM Business Analysis Senior ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystACT
- FTData ScientistOther