Be realistic: you're not going to check every program you have to see if it's the latest version. Secunia PSI can do it for you.
- Nothing of note
Secunia PSI won't do away with the need to run a good antivirus program and firewall on your PC. But it provides a solid layer of free protection that no PC should do without.
One of the best ways to protect your PC is to keep all your software up-to-date. Patching over security holes blocks online attackers who like nothing more than exploiting old software flaws to surreptitiously install Trojans and other malware.
The free Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) makes it easy to find and fix old programs - even those that lack automatic update features - on your PC. Secunia PSI scans your computer to find out what versions of what software you have installed, and it reports on which might contain known security holes.
But the excellent app doesn't stop there. Secunia PSI also provides clickable links to download available patches or program updates, which makes updating most software a snap. Other helpful icons can open the program's folder, bring up online references for any security advisories, and perform other useful tasks.
Less technical users can opt for a simple interface mode that lists only easy-to-patch software. But it's worth trying the advanced interface, which displays a wealth of information about your installed software. The latest version includes a handy "Secure Browsing" tab that reports not only on your browser version(s), but also on any plugins, ActiveX controls, Firefox add-ons and other extras.
By default, Secunia PSI will start with Windows and report on new software or newly discovered security holes. Gamers and anyone else who wants to conserve system resources can turn off those options using the settings tab in the advanced mode, and instead run manual scans.
Join the newsletter!
When the Hypertext Transfer Protocol was introduced nearly 30 years ago, the Internet was a small, cozy club hosting just one website.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Full, in-depth review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Labs says fileless cyberattacks are on the rise in 2018
- Vulnerabilities found in Samsung SmartThings Hub
- Dropbox gives its Pro and Business users a bit of extra space to work with
- Sharp renews Huddle Board offering
- Twilio Announces Integration with Google Cloud Contact Centre AI
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies