Be realistic: you're not going to check every program you have to see if it's the latest version. Secunia PSI can do it for you.
- Nothing of note
Secunia PSI won't do away with the need to run a good antivirus program and firewall on your PC. But it provides a solid layer of free protection that no PC should do without.
One of the best ways to protect your PC is to keep all your software up-to-date. Patching over security holes blocks online attackers who like nothing more than exploiting old software flaws to surreptitiously install Trojans and other malware.
The free Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) makes it easy to find and fix old programs - even those that lack automatic update features - on your PC. Secunia PSI scans your computer to find out what versions of what software you have installed, and it reports on which might contain known security holes.
But the excellent app doesn't stop there. Secunia PSI also provides clickable links to download available patches or program updates, which makes updating most software a snap. Other helpful icons can open the program's folder, bring up online references for any security advisories, and perform other useful tasks.
Less technical users can opt for a simple interface mode that lists only easy-to-patch software. But it's worth trying the advanced interface, which displays a wealth of information about your installed software. The latest version includes a handy "Secure Browsing" tab that reports not only on your browser version(s), but also on any plugins, ActiveX controls, Firefox add-ons and other extras.
By default, Secunia PSI will start with Windows and report on new software or newly discovered security holes. Gamers and anyone else who wants to conserve system resources can turn off those options using the settings tab in the advanced mode, and instead run manual scans.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 4 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 5 Acer Aspire 5 review: An affordable laptop that’s enjoyable to use
Latest News Articles
- The best free VPNs for Windows
- NordVPN is offering 2 years of VPN service for $111
- Signal's hack of surveillance software a big concern for courts
- NortonLifeLock hopes to make gaming more secure
- Trend Micro: APAC organisations face increasing cyber threats
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- Top 10 best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- 25 Essential Party Games On PC And Console To Play With Family And Friends
- Mesh Wi-Fi vs Traditional Routers: Which is better?
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies