Be realistic: you're not going to check every program you have to see if it's the latest version. Secunia PSI can do it for you.
- Nothing of note
Secunia PSI won't do away with the need to run a good antivirus program and firewall on your PC. But it provides a solid layer of free protection that no PC should do without.
One of the best ways to protect your PC is to keep all your software up-to-date. Patching over security holes blocks online attackers who like nothing more than exploiting old software flaws to surreptitiously install Trojans and other malware.
The free Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) makes it easy to find and fix old programs - even those that lack automatic update features - on your PC. Secunia PSI scans your computer to find out what versions of what software you have installed, and it reports on which might contain known security holes.
But the excellent app doesn't stop there. Secunia PSI also provides clickable links to download available patches or program updates, which makes updating most software a snap. Other helpful icons can open the program's folder, bring up online references for any security advisories, and perform other useful tasks.
Less technical users can opt for a simple interface mode that lists only easy-to-patch software. But it's worth trying the advanced interface, which displays a wealth of information about your installed software. The latest version includes a handy "Secure Browsing" tab that reports not only on your browser version(s), but also on any plugins, ActiveX controls, Firefox add-ons and other extras.
By default, Secunia PSI will start with Windows and report on new software or newly discovered security holes. Gamers and anyone else who wants to conserve system resources can turn off those options using the settings tab in the advanced mode, and instead run manual scans.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ford Everest Trend RWD 3.2L Diesel review
- Ford Everest Trend in its natural habitat
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerOther
- FTService Desk OperatorsOther
- FTSystem EngineerNSW
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorQLD
- FTSupport AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Engineer - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTDigital ProducerOther
- FTETL TesterACT
- CCIT Security and Risk Manager - BrisbaneNSW
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java Lead - Move to MelbourneNSW
- CCDigital Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCAMI ArchitectWA
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- CCAsset Management specialistNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - CanberraOther
- FTDatabase DeveloperOther
- FTSAP BO LeadOther
- CCServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- FT.Net Developer (Senior)WA
- FTOrganizational Change ManagerACT
- CCPerformance Test EngineerQLD
- FTSystems EngineerQLD
- TPSenior Systems AnalystVIC