Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) hard drive
Seagate's Momentus 7200.4 is a 7200rpm hard drive that will fit in a notebook
- Very fast read/write speeds, relatively good price per gigabyte
- Vibrates more than a 5400rpm laptop hard drive
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) is a laptop hard drive that offers faster read/write speeds than many larger desktop hard drives. If you need a fast and cool hard drive for laptops, media centre PCs or network-attached storage (NAS) devices, this is worth a look.
Price$ 217.00 (AUD)
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) is a 500GB 2.5in hard drive with a spin speed of 7200rpm and a 16MB cache. Despite being small enough to fit in a laptop drive bay it is faster than many 3.5in hard drives designed for desktop PCs.
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 is faster than 5400rpm laptop drives we've tested, such as the Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD5000BEVT) and the Seagate Momentus 5400.4 250GB (ST9250827AS). This was shown in our transfer tests.
We copied 19.4GB of files from our testbed PC, which uses a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS), and recorded a write speed of 77.2 megabytes per second and a read speed of 85.99MBps. Duplicating data on the Momentus hard drive (copying data from one folder on the drive to another), was achieved at a rate of 25.63MBps. This is an excellent result, especially given that many desktop hard drives such as the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360) and the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB aren't as fast.
Out in the open, the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ran at an average temperature of 30 degrees Celsius. This is nine degrees cooler than a typical 3.5in hard drive. Because it's as fast as a desktop drive and has such a large capacity, it's a good hard drive to use in a PC case in which space is at a premium (such as a media centre). The relatively low heat production means you can use a couple of these drives in a RAID array in a cramped case without worrying about them overheating.
As well as delivering faster performance, the higher spin speed results in a higher level of vibration. When we installed the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) hard drive in a 15.4in laptop, its level of vibration was more noticeable through the palm rest than it was when we installed a 5400rpm Western Digital Scorpio (WD3200BEVT).
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) has a formatted capacity of 465GB and a cost per gigabyte of 47 cents. While this is expensive when compared to desktop hard drives such as the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360), which has a cost per formatted gigabyte of 26.7 cents, it is competitive for a notebook drive. It is slightly cheaper than the 55.7 cents per formatted gigabyte of the Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD5000BEVT).
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) will be useful if you're after a high-performance laptop hard drive for tasks like video editing or playing games. It's also worth a look if you're building a fast and cool media centre for your home entertainment system.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCTesting Manager - Energy sectorVIC
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTAutomation Tester | C# & Selenium | Leading SaaS FintechNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Higher EducationVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCDeployment Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTChange AnalystQLD
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior to Mid-level Project Manager- TelcoVIC
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW